HIMSS Fellow, HHS Innovator In Resident Program
Location: Arlington, VA
The purpose of this position is for the HIMSS Innovator in Residence (IIR) to work for two (2) years as an employee of HIMSS and on behalf of its stakeholders to develop a vision, strategy and implementation of consistent patient data matching in health. The IIR will work onsite at Health and Human Services (HHS) with the HHS Chief Technology Officer, and National Coordinator for Health IT, and others for exposure to a wide range of policy, stakeholder engagement, and technical expertise. The IIR will work with stakeholders in business, research, healthcare organizations, consumers/patient organizations, and others with interest in transforming the healthcare system in America. The IIR will bring technology development experiences and project management experiences to enable broad engagement in solving challenges in record matching approaches.
The IIR will demonstrate results of this entrepreneurial activity by completing a framework for technology and policy solutions to help provide consistent matching of a patient’s healthcare records thereby enhancing the safety and efficacy of healthcare. The IIR activities will lead to establishing metrics of patient matching technology approaches and create a pathway evaluating solutions. Successes will include engaging stakeholders to adopt approaches that will set in motion improvements in technology that improve consistent and reliable patient matching of records. Specific outcomes are defined in the project plan.
1. Opportunity Development. Identifies new opportunities for impactful HIMSS and industry projects, in collaboration with HHS, exploring innovative technology concepts, initiating, describing and conducting relevant market related areas, in support of HIMSS and industry goals and objectives. An emphasis of this position and the collaboration between HIMSS and HHS will be addressing technology solutions that will solve challenges with matching information records for patients
2. Strategy. Leads the creation and execution of HIMSS strategic activities related to a national-level vision, strategy and implementation of consistent patient data matching in healthcare in conjunction with the Vice President, Technology Solutions and VP, Government Relations. Maintains a pulse on related topics and initiatives in this area that are deemed important to the enterprise today and to the facilitation of health information exchange. Serves as a subject matter expert on technology and record matching strategies. Leads development of strategies and initiatives to ensure thought leadership, innovation and industry convening activities on this topic. Serves as HIMSS (internal) and health industry (external) Subject Matter Expert (SME).
3. Project Development and Management. Develops project plans and executes strategic and tactical activities, in conjunction with industry and government stakeholders for the development and deployment of a consistent patient data matching in healthcare. Provides project management, oversight and implementation of volunteer activities, tools, resources, and initiatives.
4. Staff and Volunteer Management. Serves as staff liaison, working in collaboration with volunteer members and leaders and other stakeholders. Leads effort and facilitates volunteer input for development of policy comments and/or position statements; assists in developing policy principles in the patient matching/identity management domain.
5. Management of HIMSS Internal Resources and Joint Projects with HHS. Provides planning, content and maintenance of project activities for the HIMSS website, working with HIMSS staff as appropriate. Supports collaboration and joint projects with HIMSS Media Group (HMG) and HIMSS Analytics, as directed by the VP, Technology Solutions and in conjunction with VP, Government Relations.
6. Content. Develops educational, technical and policy-related content (presentations, white papers, blogs, publications, and other communications) for internal and external audiences on the topic of all areas of the patient matching/identity management. Supports the efforts of the Government Relations Department in related policy and other technical initiatives at the Federal, State and Congressional Level. Supports the VP, Technology Solutions and VP, Government Relations with all areas of Health Business Solutions-related content support for state initiatives.
7. External Partnerships/Collaborations. Establishes and maintains collaborative partnerships with external organizations and groups to strengthen activities and provides input to HIMSS Strategic Plan relating to this project and patient matching/identity management, as established by and under the direction of the VP, Technology Solutions and VP, Government Relations.
1. A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or other IT or Technology-related field; Healthcare management, Informatics, or related field. Master’s degree is a plus.
2. A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in application of innovation to complex problems, patient matching/identify management, etc.
3. Experience with health information systems and technologies; privacy and security, and related policy issues.
4. Preference that experience be both at the operational and policy levels.
5. Experience in management in a healthcare business office and/or healthcare information technology within an enterprise, practice or other provider or health plan setting is desirable
6. Technical knowledge of information technology, HIPAA regulations, and other related laws, regulations and technical standards.
7. Demonstrates application of innovative approaches to complex IT and policy challenges.
8. Demonstrates exceptionally-strong project management skills to manage multiple, complex, highly-detailed, and long-term projects simultaneously, bringing them to completion within expected time frames, budget, and relevance. Budgeting and forecasting skills.
9. Superior planning/organizational skills, both strategic and tactical.
10. Detail oriented, self-confident personality, collaborative working style, ability to work effectively in both independent and team-based situations
11. Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
12. Outstanding interpersonal skills, ability to deal with a wide range of people from technical to executive level, volunteers, both national and international.
13. Must be able to travel up to 30% of the time.
14. Must be willing to relocate to Washington DC.
ContactInterested in joining us? Please e-mail your resume with salary requirements to: 155560-CJBemail@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
12th Annual HIMSS Leadership Survey Results Apr 17, 2014
2006 HIMSS Leadership Survey Apr 17, 2014
Ask the Expert: What are SomeTips for Treating Patients in the EHR Exam Room? Apr 17, 2014
Learn how to effectively use EHRs in the exam room without alienating ...
- 12th Annual HIMSS Leadership Survey Results Apr 17, 2014
04/14/14 - Health IT Public Policy
Lives can be saved, outcomes of care improved, and costs reduced ...
02/21/14 - Meaningful Use OneSource
Meaningful Use OneSource assists eligible healthcare providers and ...
04/17/14 - Health Business Solutions
Healthcare providers! Learn how to better manage your business operations ...
02/10/14 - Health IT Body of Knowledge
An introductory guide to essential definitions, descriptions and ...
02/10/14 - Electronic Health Records
Electronic Health Records (EHR) are a longitudinal electronic record ...
- 04/14/14 - Health IT Public Policy
San Antonio HIMSS Chapter | Hand Hygiene Compliance Monitoring: How Improvements in Technology are Transforming HealthcareSan Antonio, TX
Spring 2014 HIE Community Roundtable
Standards & Interoperability-the Key to Data ExchangeWebinar