HIMSS Policy Summit
Non-Member Cost: $250
The HIMSS Policy Summit is scheduled for September 17-18, 2014 in Washington, DC. Register today!
Every year since 2002 HIMSS members and health IT community colleagues from all over the nation have connected in Washington with federal and congressional policymakers, and visited Capitol Hill to discuss that year's Congressional "Asks" with members of Congress and their staff.
The 2014 Congressional Asks are:
- Minimize Disruption in our Nation's Health System Emanating from Federally-Mandated Health IT Program Changes
- Fund the National Coordinator for Health IT to Achieve Interoperability, Improve Clinical Quality, and Ensure Patient Privacy and Safety
- Expand Telehealth Services to Improve Patient Access and Outcomes and Decrease Healthcare Costs
The HIMSS Policy Summit is held in Washington, DC during National Health IT Week, and events are capped off with a National Health IT Week Networking and Awards Reception.
HIMSS members are the industry’s most effective voice with elected officials! Join us September 17-18, 2014.
Register today to take advantage of early bird rates, which are available until August 16, 2014.
The HIMSS Policy Summit has moved to a new location for 2014: The Grand Hyatt Washington, 1000 H Street NW, Washington DC 20001.
Wednesday, September 17th:
1:30 - 3:30 pm Health IT Policy 101 - In collaboration with the eHealth Initiative | Grand Hyatt, Constitution CDE
1:30 - 2:15 pm Joint HIMSS Committee Session (invitation only) | Grand Hyatt, Penn Quarter AB
2:15 - 4:30 pm HIMSS Committee Meetings (invitation only)
- Payer & Life Sciences Face-to-Face Meeting (2:00pm - 4:00pm)
- HIMSS HGRR / Diversity Roundtable Meeting
- HIMSS Public Policy Committee Meeting
- HIMSS Chapter Advocacy Roundtable Meeting
4:30 - 6:30 pm National Health IT Week Networking & Awards Reception (open to the public) | Grand Hyatt, Constitution CDE
- CHIME Federal Public Policy Award for CIO Leadership
- HIMSS Congressional Health IT Leadership Award
- HIMSS Federal Health IT Leadership Award
- HIMSS State Legislator of the Year Award
Thursday, September 18th: All events take place at the Grand Hyatt unless otherwise noted.
7:00 am - 8:00 am Breakfast/Networking
8:00 am - 11:30 am HIMSS Policy Summit Breakfast Briefing
- Welcome and Introductions: Paul Kleeberg, MD, FAAFP, FHIMSS, Chair, HIMSS Board of Directors
- Opening Keynote: Karen B. DeSalvo, MD, MPH, MSc, National Coordinator for Health IT
- Congressional Keynote: The Honorable Gregg Harper, United States House of Representatives (MS)
- Congressional Keynote: The Honorable Renee Ellmers, United States House of Representatives (NC)
- Big Data and Clinical Analytics: How They Are Driving Quality Improvement
- Review of HIMSS’ 2014 Congressional Asks
- Closing Comments: Jeff Coughlin, MPP, Senior Director, HIMSS Federal and State Affairs
11:30 am - 1:00pm Lunch and Transportation to Capitol Hill
1:30 pm - 4:30 pm Hill Visits | Pre-scheduled Congressional Office visits for all attendees | Please notify HIMSS staff immediately if you will be unable to attend a meeting
10:00 am - 6:30 pm Health IT Technology and Interoperability Showcase™ on Capitol Hill | Reserve Officers Association, One Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm Day on the Hill Debrief Reception | Reserve Officers Association, Atrium
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Highlights from the 12th Annual HIMSS Policy Summit
Nearly 300 HIMSS volunteers and other members of the health IT community came together for the 12th Annual HIMSS Policy Summit during National Health IT Week in September 2013! The enthusiasm of attendees sharing their health IT stories with congressional representatives was infectious and impactful. See photos below.
The HIMSS Policy Summit was one of many events taking place during National Health IT Week 2013, which was recognized by the U.S. Senate when it passed a resolution, “Designating the week of September 16 through September 20, 2013, as ‘National Health Information Technology Week’ to recognize the value of health information technology in transforming and improving the healthcare system for all people in the United States.”
Your voice matters. Please continue to share your health IT stories and discuss the 2013 Congressional Asks with colleagues and policymakers:
- Consistent Nationwide Patient Data Matching Strategy
- Alignment of Healthcare Quality Reporting Requirements Across Federal Programs
- Consistent Adoption of Health IT Exchange Standards and Implementation Guidelines
Read the Health IT Policy Update for a summary of 2013 Policy Summit-related speakers and activities.
See you in September 2014! In the meantime, to reach the HIMSS Government Relations team with questions or comments, please email email@example.com.
A General Overview of CPHIMS/CAHIMS for Organizational Affiliates MembersVirtual Event
Hyland Higher EducationHIMSS Innovation Center
Hyland Higher Education Meeting