Annual Conference Education Committee
Thank you for your interest in the Annual Conference Education Committee (ACEC). Committee, Task Force, and Work Group participation is open to all individual members of HIMSS who are not serving in other leadership capacities within the Society. In addition, in order to apply to this committee, you must have acted as a HIMSS Conference proposal reviewer or have participated as an Annual Conference Committee Content Liaison for at least two (2) years. Committee members are recruited annually through an application process, and selected by the Chair-Elect of the HIMSS Board of Directors.
The information below will provide you with a broad understanding of the selection process, an overview of the responsibilities of the Annual Conference Education Committee, and illustrate the importance of the committee to the success of the Annual HIMSS Conference educational programming.
Annual Conference Education Committee (ACEC) Overview
The Annual Conference Education Committee (ACEC) is a group of annual conference reviewers and ACEC Content Liaisons who each represent an industry, profession, or community within HIMSS. The ACEC is responsible for identifying and programming high quality educational opportunities at the Annual HIMSS Conference and Exhibition. The planning year for the ACEC runs July 1 to June 30.
Annual Conference Reviewers are members of the Society who lend their time and expertise to review proposals submitted to HIMSS through its call for proposal process. Reviewers are responsible for reviewing these proposals, evaluating them through an online system, and conferring with the other reviewers within their topic category group to produce a list of recommended proposals they believe should be accepted for the conference. This review process takes place prior to the ACEC face-to-face meeting, which normally takes place in late August. Proposals recommended by the reviewers are then discussed by the ACEC at their face to face meeting and a final selection is made. Once proposals have been selected by the ACEC, reviewers may be assigned to coach selected speakers, may be asked to evaluate their presentation materials and to evaluate the sessions on-site, and possibly serve as moderator.
Annual Conference Education Committee (ACEC) Chair
Brian Dixon MPA, PhD, FHIMSS, Assistant Professor of Health Informatics at Indiana University
Annual Conference Education Committee (ACEC) Members
Fred Ammons, CPHIMS, CHCIO, CEO, Community Health Works
Nanda Lahoud, MS, PMP, CPHIMS, FHIMSS, Administrative Director, Value Realization, Texas Health Resources
John Varga, MD, MBA, CPHIMS, FHIMSS, Physician Informaticist, VHA
John Waldron, CPHIMS, Director, Enterprise Architecture, Provencial Health Services Authority (PHSA)
David Lafferty, Executive VP/CIO, Tidewell Hospice
Judy A. McCarthy, RN, MSIS, BSN, CPHIMS, FHIMSS, CTO, National Jewish Health
Patricia MacTaggart, MBA, MMA, Lead Research Scientist, Dept. of Health Policy, GWU
Joseph Miller, FHIIMSS, Director, E-Business, AmeriHealth Mercy
Hank Fanberg, Director, Technology Advocacy, CHRISTUS Health
Christine Rushnell, MBA, CPHIMSS, FHIMSS, Interim VP of Clincial Systems, UH Hospitals
Roger L. Neal MSTM, FHIMSS, VP, Information Technology/CIO, Duncan Regional Hospital
ACEC Committee Structure:
Purpose: To identify and program high quality educational opportunities at the Annual HIMSS Conference and Exhibition.
- A volunteer from the ACEC may be named by the HIMSS Board Chair
- Serves 2 years on the committee by end of chair term
- Must be a HIMSS member
- The HIMSS Board Chair or designee who will be in office at the upcoming Annual Conference
- 12 volunteers appointed by the HIMSS Board Chair (selections based on geographic location, topic category expertise, and years of experience within industry)
- Must be HIMSS members and have participated as an Annual Conference proposal reviewer or an ACEC Liaison for two years
- ACEC members must not submit annual conference proposals during their term of service
- Volunteers approved by the ACEC
- Once selected, Reviewers may continue indefinitely
- Must be HIMSS members
- A HIMSS member must be a reviewer for at least two years, but not necessarily consecutively, before they may be selected as a member of the ACEC
- Continuing Education Accrediting Agency Representative (PIM):
- PIM provides a Staff Member to attend the ACEC summer meeting.
- The PIM representative is a non-voting member that serves in a continuing education consultant role.
HIMSS Staff Liaisons:
- H. Stephen Lieber, CAE, President/CEO
- Carla Smith, Carla Smith, NCMN, FHIMSS, Executive Vice President, HIMSS Competency Area
- JoAnn Klinedinst, CPHIMS, FHIMSS, PMP, Vice President, Professional Development (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Gail L. Rice, MA, Director, Professional Development (email@example.com)
- Deb Clough, Manager, Annual Conference Education (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Annual Conference Education Committee Tasks:
- The ACEC is instrumental in selecting Topic Categories for the conference in the year following that for which they select the sessions. These Topic Categories then form the basis of the request for proposals for the following year’s conference (e.g.: the 2012-13 ACEC will select sessions for the 2013 conference and then select and ratify Topic Categories for the 2014 conference)
- The ACEC reviews attendee evaluations of speakers and conference events to improve attendee benefits.
- The ACEC works with assigned Reviewers to evaluate proposals and select sessions, E-Sessions, roundtables, and workshops via the HIMSS web site and conference calls.
- They suggest high quality presenters and additional topics not submitted through the Call for Proposals.
- Annual Conference Education Committee Meetings schedule:
- A face-to-face meeting at the Annual HIMSS Conference and Exhibition
- A face-to-face meeting approximately six months out from the upcoming conference. Committee members must be present to participate.
- There are supplemental committee conference calls as necessary.
- The ACEC is also instrumental in selecting Topic Categories for the conference in the year following that for which they select the sessions. These Topic Categories then form the basis of the request for proposals for the following year’s conference (e.g.: the 2010-11 ACEC will select sessions for the 2011 conference and then select and ratify Topic Categories for the 2012 conference)
- Reviewers do not attend committee meetings; however, they do participate in conference calls during the proposal selection process with their assigned ACEC representative.
Annual Conference Education Committee Meetings schedule:
- Monthly committee conference calls
- Conference calls in early August with Reviewers to discuss and recommend proposals as conference sessions
- A face-to-face meeting in August prior to the upcoming conference
- A face-to-face meeting at the Annual HIMSS Conference and Exhibition
Definition of Responsibilities/Benefits of Committee Participation (ACEC):
Annual Conference Education Committee Chair
ACEC Chair Responsibilities
- Works with HIMSS staff to develop agendas for the ACEC meetings and conference calls after consulting with the staff.
- Assures that committee members are apprised of all committee business, adhere to assigned projects and meet target dates.
- Provides feedback and counsel to HIMSS staff and committee members.
- May be asked to represent HIMSS on "goodwill" collaborations with other organizations, or serve on HIMSS special plan and scope projects.
- Attends the Incoming Committee Chair meeting for the year of their term
- Reports out to other committee chairs during quarterly steering committee conference calls.
- Serves a one-year term under current HIMSS bylaws.
ACEC Chair Benefits and Rewards
- Earns 15 points for advancement to HIMSS Senior Member and Fellow Status.
- Receives a complimentary conference registration.
- Receives recognition on the web site and on-site.
- Receives hotel and travel costs to attend the Incoming Committee Chair meeting.
- Provides educational value by broadening the knowledge base of conference participants.
- Has the opportunity to play a key role in developing the conference curriculum and direction.
- Increases their peer networking opportunities.
Annual Conference Education Committee Members:
Committee member responsibilities:
- Participate in all conference calls and attend 2 face-to-face committee meetings during the year.
- Review proposals within their assigned topic category.
- Monitor work and review/evaluate results of the Reviewers.
- Act as primary representatives for assigned topic area(s) to Reviewers and HIMSS staff.
- Recommend proposals to schedule as sessions, workshops, E-sessions, and roundtables per assigned topic category.
- Provide suggestions on speakers and topics for consideration at the conference.
- Moderate sessions at conference if needed.
- Attend sessions during the conference to evaluate them.
- Participate in conference calls to assist in the identification of Topic Categories for the conference to be held the year following the year of the conference for which they plan (e.g. the 2012/2013 ACEC will select and ratify Topic Categories for the 2014 conference)
- Two year term
Committee Member Benefit and Rewards:
- Earn 7 points for advancement to HIMSS Senior Member and Fellow Status.
- Receive a complimentary conference registration
- Receive recognition on the web site and on-site.
- Receive educational value by broadening their knowledge base.
- Play a key role in developing HIMSS Annual Conference curriculum and direction.
- Increase their opportunities for peer network.
If you would like to learn more about how to become involved with the Annual Conference Education Committee, please contact Deb Clough, Manager of Annual Conference Education, at email@example.com.
M2Mhealth - Engaged for Success
Today's Digital Hospital: Improving clinical workflow and patient care
Transform the Datacenter - An Intelligent Infrastructure for Health