Student Membership $30
Valuable resources for health IT emerging professionals
Chart your course with our wealth of career knowledge sharing and guidance
- Experience benefits of regular membership
- Receive member pricing on conferences, webinars, publications and eLearning Academy
- Access members-only content on HIMSS.org
- Must be a full-time student to quality, see the "HIMSS Student Membership Policy" listed below for eligibility requirements
Student Membership does not include:
- Voting Rights. Sorry! Students are non-voting members
- Cannot hold a HIMSS elective office position
- Use of the HIMSS+1 membership program
Overview Benefit Details:
Compare Individual Membership Benefits
Individual Membership Orientation
Frequently Asked Questions
HIMSS Student Membership Policy:
Updated December 2012
The Student Membership category of the HIMSS individual program is designed for those individuals officially enrolled in an accredited educational site as a full-time student seeking to become active in the fields of healthcare information and management systems.
For purpose of the HIMSS Student Membership category, an education site is defined as a four-year or two-year university or college, technical career college, or online institution. An individual must be enrolled as follows:
- Certificate program: minimum of 12 non-credit hours
- Associate or Undergraduate: minimum of 12 credit hours
- Graduate: minimum of 9 credit hours
Additional Eligibility Requirements for Student Membership in HIMSS
Student membership in HIMSS is open to individuals who are new to HIMSS and are enrolled full-time at an accredited educational site seeking to become active in the fields of healthcare information and management systems.
Individuals new to HIMSS and applying for Student membership may be enrolled in any level of full-time study as defined above: certificate program, associate, undergraduate, or graduate.
Renewing Student Members:
Individuals seeking to renew student membership in HIMSS will be allowed to do so based upon their degree or certificate award date (graduation).
If no award/graduation date is provided, individuals will be asked to renew as a Regular member at the time their membership renewal is due. Individuals providing evidence of current student enrollment at the time of renewal will be allowed to renew as a student member for an additional year.
Student Membership Verification Process*
Individuals eligiblefor Student Membership in HIMSS are allowed to register for membership at any time using the HIMSS online membership registration process. The option to select Student Membership will be available after creating your member profile. At the time of new membership registration and membership renewal, individuals interested in student membership in HIMSS will be required to answer qualification questions regarding enrollment including but not limited to:
- providing name of educational site,
- program type,
- program hours enrolled,
- dates of program, and
- expected award/graduation date.
In addition, individuals seeking student membership in HIMSS:
- Must submit documentation of official full-time enrollment at the time of membership application
- Must sign an agreement attesting to accuracy of the information provided regarding their student status
- Are subject to random audits by HIMSS staff and must provide evidence of enrollment as requested
Accepted Documentation of Student Enrollment:
- Copy of the member or applicant’s current schedule
- Copy of University transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- Other enrollment documentation from the institution on University letterhead signed by department chair or other school official
*Documentation of student enrollment may also be submitted within 30-days of Student Membership registration to: email@example.com
Student Membership Dues
- Current dues for student membership are $30 per calendar year based on month in which payment has been received by HIMSS for new and renewing members.
- Student membership due rate is only available at time of new membership purchase or at time of student membership renewal.
- No dues refunds, transfers, or adjustments will be made to an individual member’s profile if dues were paid at any other level prior to their official full-time enrollment at an educational site.