The call for nominations are now closed. Award recipients will be announced in December 2017/January 2018. For more information, contact email@example.com
HIMSS 2017 Recipient
Brian E. Dixon, MPA, PhD, FHIMSS
Purpose and History
The Book of the Year Award honors a book that offers outstanding practical guidance and/or strategic insight for healthcare information and management systems professionals.
To be considered for the award, nominees must demonstrate the following:
To be eligible for the Book of the Year Award, a book must be an original work on a topic significant to the healthcare information management and management systems field that was published between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017.
- Relevance to a broad range of industry professionals;
- Relevance of subject and content;
- Timeliness of content;
- Content provides new, unique, or alternative thoughts and understanding of the topic;
- Content is provocative and likely to motivate application of the concepts and ideas or promote further thought on the subject;
- Content is substantiated by data, appropriate references, and/or logical thought processes;
- Content is easy to read and catches and maintains the reader's attention;
- Content is organized and presented in a manner that allows the reader to recognize key thoughts or findings;
- Tables, graphs, and other figures are used appropriately and with sufficient explanation to enhance the understanding or detailed knowledge of the reader.
Additional Eligibility and Required Criteria
- Is not currently serving on one of HIMSS boards (HIMSS NA, HIMSS Analytics, PCHA, etc.);
- Cannot be currently employed by HIMSS, nor engaged in a consulting contract with any component of HIMSS;
- Award judges are ineligible to be nominated.
Previous award recipients who have won this award in the past five years are exempt from consideration. Please refrain from submitting a nomination for someone who fits this criteria.
The Nomination Process
Nominations for the Book of the Year Award may come from any of the following sources:
- Individual HIMSS members and students, including self-nomination;
- Editorial Review Board members; or
- Editors and other professionals from other industry publications.
Any person meeting the eligibility and required criteria may be nominated. Candidates may also nominate themselves for the award. Only completed applications submitted by the published deadline will be considered.
The online application form will require the following information:
- A completed application using the online nomination form;
- A concise (no more than 100 words) description of the book, including thesis;
- Book outline;
- A brief (no more than 200 words) argument for how the book advances the field of healthcare information technology; and
- Three copies of the published book or publisher’s proofs.*
The HIMSS Book of the Year Award consists of:
- Symbol of recognition;
- Public announcement in an official HIMSS publication and on relevant website(s).
* Please mail three copies of the published book or publisher’s proofs to:
Attention: Jan Lugibihl
33 West Monroe Street
Chicago, IL 60603
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.