Purpose & History
This award is named in honor of John E. Gall, Jr. who pioneered the implementation of healthcare information systems at El Camino Hospital in the 1960's.
The John E. Gall, Jr. CIO of the Year Award recognizes a CIO who demonstrates significant leadership in healthcare. The award is given for a lifetime of success and achievement as a CIO in the healthcare IT industry. The recipient is selected jointly by the Board of Directors of the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) and the Healthcare Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS).
The call for applications is closed. Winners will be notified in December 2016. The call for applications will open again in July 2017.
Eligibility and required criteria
- Currently employed as a CIO;
- Current membership in good standing of CHIME and HIMSS;
- Membership in CHIME and HIMSS for at least five consecutive years prior to the date the application is submitted;
- Has participated significantly in either leadership or organizational activities of CHIME or HIMSS (i.e. Board of Directors (national level), Board Appointed Committee, Fellows Council, etc.);
- Has demonstrated innovative leadership through effective use of technology in support of the strategic initiatives of his/her organization;
- Represents the highest standards of leadership in Health IT;
- Is respected and recognized as a role model to peers and the industry;
- Has advanced the professional standards embraced by CHIME and HIMSS;
- Is currently not serving on the Board of Directors for HIMSS or CHIME;
- Holds at least one industry designation (CHCIO, FCHIME, CPHIMS, or FHIMSS).
The Nomination Process
Senior Leadership from either CHIME or HIMSS may not nominate a candidate for the Award. Any person meeting the eligibility requirements may nominate themselves for the Award.
The online application form will ask for the following information:
- A completed application form;
- A brief biographical sketch (1,000 words or less);
- Provide one letter of recommendation from a CHIME Fellow and one from a HIMSS Fellow;
- Resume/curriculum vitae – provide both employment history and notable achievements for each position held.
Application Review and Selection Process:
- All of the application materials will be reviewed by members of the Award Selection Committee
- Staff will forward the committee recommendation to the Board officers of both CHIME and HIMSS for review and approval
The CHIME-HIMSS John E. Gall Jr. CIO of the Year Award consists of:
- Symbol of Recognition;
- Public announcement in an official CHIME and HIMSS publication;
- Invitation to the HIMSS Awards and Recognition Gala and a CHIME event;
- Opportunity to serve on the Awards Selection Committee for the upcoming year.
Craig D. Richardville, MBA, FACHE, FHIMSS
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.