Spending on specialty medicines has nearly doubled since 2010. The increasing volume and varied handling of specialty drug prescriptions has major implications for patients, prescribers and pharmacies. There are opportunities to leverage the current ePrescribing workflow within the EHR to accommodate specialty medications. We’ll discuss how evolving electronic solutions can enhance efficiencies and time to therapy when initiating a patient on a specialty medication.
- Discuss the current challenges facing the specialty drug market.
- Describe the current process of starting a patient on a specialty medication.
- Outline the opportunities for electronic solutions to increase efficiencies and how these solutions integrate into the current ePrescription routing workflow.
- Summarize the potential impact to the specialty medication workflow and stakeholders.
- Kathy Lewis, M.P.H., Director, Product Innovation, Surescripts
- Amy H. Seung, PharmD, BCOP, Senior Director, Clinical Development, AssistRx
- Douglas Blayney, M.D., Medical Oncologist, Professor of Medicine, Stanford Cancer Center