The CAHIMS Review Course is an excellent source of an emerging health IT body of knowledge that spans three broad knowledge categories involving a total of nine topic areas: General Environmental Knowledge (Organizational Environment and Technology Environment; Healthcare Information and Systems Management Knowledge (Analysis and Design, Selection, Implementation, Support and Maintenance, Testing and Evaluation and Privacy and Security); and Administrative Knowledge (Leadership and Management Support). This Review Course will provide a highly interactive and fast-paced detailed overview of these competency areas by supplementing tools and resources from a variety of sources to aid in the knowledge transfer process.
At the completion of the course, the participant will be able to:
- Introduce the various components of the CAHIMS Body of Knowledge
- Articulate characteristics, roles, and inter-relationships of various healthcare entities
- Recognize the various characteristics, applications, and technical components that support the healthcare environment
- Identify the components of systems analysis and design
- Describe the importance of a valid design plan to support the goals of the organization
- Articulate the importance of sound methodologies to support the testing, design, and implementation of applications
- Describe the challenges and opportunities of software support
- Identify the components of software maintenance as related to the healthcare environment
- Create awareness of the many challenges of the implementation development life cycle
- Identify the current state of privacy and security challenges and opportunities in healthcare today.
- Review the leadership and management goals, responsibilities, and opportunities of today’s healthcare leaders
- Review studying and test taking skills and tips that may be utilized to further prepare the student for taking the exam
HIMSS. Preparing for Success in Healthcare Information and Management Systems: The CAHIMS Review Guide. Healthcare Information Management and Systems Society, Chicago, IL 2015.
Other Supplementary Materials*
*Optional purchase by the student
Ciampa, Mark and Revels, Mark. Introduction to Healthcare Information Technology. Course Technology, Boston, MA, 2013.
Coiera, Enrico. Guide to Health Informatics, Third Edition. Taylor and Francis Group, LLC, Boca Raton, FL 2013.
HIMSS. HIMSS Dictionary of Healthcare Information Technology Term, Acronyms and Organizations, Fourth Edition. Healthcare Information Management and Systems Society, Chicago, IL 2017.
Kudyba, Stephan P. Healthcare Informatics: Improving Efficiency through Technology, Analytics, and Management. Taylor and Francis Group, LLC, Boca Raton, FL 2016.
Schulte, Margaret F. Healthcare Delivery in the U.S.A., An Introduction, Second Edition. Taylor and Francis Group, LLC, Boca Raton, FL 2013.
Wager, Karen A., Lee, Frances Wickham, Glaser, John P. D. Health Care Information Systems: A Practical Approach for Health Care Management, Third Edition. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA 2013.
White, Kenneth R. and Griffith, John R. The Well-Managed Healthcare Organization, Eighth Edition. Health Administration Press, Chicago, IL 2015.
|3||Analysis and Design|
|4||Selection, Implementation, Support and Maintenance|
|5||Testing and Evaluation|
|6||Privacy and Security|