The CPHIMS Review Course is an excellent source of a health IT body of knowledge that spans three broad knowledge categories involving a total of nine topic areas: General Environmental Knowledge (Healthcare Environment and Technology Environment; Systems Knowledge (Analysis, Design, Selection, Implementation, Support and Maintenance, Testing and Evaluation, Privacy and Security; and Administrative Knowledge (Leadership and Management). This Review Course will provide a highly interactive and fast-paced detailed overview of these competency areas by supplementing tools and resources from a variety of sources to aid in the knowledge transfer process.
At the completion of the course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the various components of the CPHIMS Body of Knowledge.
- Articulate the opportunities and challenges in the healthcare environment, while addressing the technological components needed to deliver patient care.
- Describe the components of the implementation development life cycle in a healthcare setting by identifying those concepts required from initial inception of an idea through implementation.
- Discuss the components required to support and maintain those who use software applications in a healthcare setting.
- Discuss the current state of privacy and security challenges and opportunities in healthcare today.
- Describe the importance of the many administrative aspects of health IT from the perspective of protecting health information to ensuring that the leadership and management functions of the healthcare setting are identified and understood.
- Implement studying and test taking skills and tips that may be utilized to further prepare the student for taking the exam.
HIMSS. CPHIMS Review Guide: Preparing for Success in Healthcare Information and Management Systems, Third Edition. Healthcare Information Management and Systems Society, Chicago, IL 2017.
Other Supplementary Materials*
*Optional purchase by the student
Coiera, Enrico. Guide to Health Informatics, Third Edition. Taylor and Francis Group, LLC, Boca Raton, FL 2013.
Glaser, John P. Glaser on Health Care IT” Perspectives from, the Decade that Defined Health Care Information Technology. Taylor and Francis Group, LLC, Boca Raton, FL 2016.
HIMSS. HIMSS Dictionary of Healthcare Information Technology Terms, Acronyms and Organizations, Fourth Edition. Healthcare Information Management and Systems Society, Chicago, IL 2017.
Kudyba, Stephan P. Healthcare Informatics: Improving Efficiency through Technology, Analytics, and Management. Taylor and Francis Group, LLC, Boca Raton, FL 2016.
Schulte, Margaret F. Healthcare Delivery in the U.S.A., An Introduction, Second Edition. Taylor and Francis Group, LLC, Boca Raton, FL 2013.
Wager, Karen A., Lee, Frances Wickham, Glaser, John P. D. Health Care Information Systems: A Practical Approach for Health Care Management, Third Edition. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA 2013.
White, Kenneth R. and Griffith, John R. The Well-Managed Healthcare Organization, Eighth Edition. Health Administration Press, Chicago, IL 2015.
Free Online Resources
Curriculum aligned with the CAHIMS certification; however, is a great resource for anyone looking to strengthen their foundation knowledge.
|5||Selection, Implementation, Support and Maintenance|
|6||Systems Testing and Evaluation|
|7||Systems Privacy and Security|