The updated uniform billing (UB) format titled UB – 04 implementation date was May 23rd of 2007 for providers, health plans and clearing houses. Only the UB04 is accepted for billing transactions. The UB -04 is not affected by CMS’ National Provider Identifier contingency plans.
Is your organization ready to make this change to the UB 04?
This Q & A provides an overview of the new UB 04 including benefits and impact for an organization on using this uniform billing format.
This Fact Sheet provides information on implementation of the UB-04.
Updated UB-04 Manual (Version 2.00) containing Clarifications/Errata/Updates as of 4/03/08.
If you are interested in this topic, please sign up to participate on the HIMSS NUBC listserv. Participation on this listserv involves sharing and providing information and expertise to our HIMSS representative on topics, issues and questions around the NUBC. There are no conference calls. If you are interested, please email Joanne Bartley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Review a cross walk to quickly review the changes between the current UB-92 and the new UB 04 at www.nubc.org
- Information on new codes, clarifications, and other guidance will be posted periodically to the subscribers section of the NUBC website (http://www.nubc.org/).
- New State Guidelines will also be posted to the website as they become available.
- Information on purchasing the uniform billing manual is available at www.nubc.org/become.html.
- To learn more about the National Uniform Billing Committee, check out http://www.nubc.org/history.html.
The National Uniform Billing Committee (NUBC) is a voluntary committee whose work is coordinated through the offices of the American Hospital Association and includes participation of all the major national provider and payer organizations. The committee was originally formed to develop a single standard billing format and data set to be used nationwide by institutional providers and payers for handling health care claims. Today, the Committee monitors and manages the utilization of this standard uniform (UB) billing form and data set used throughout the industry wide for billing transactions.