Meaningful Use Law & Rules
On February 17, 2009, President Barack Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). Title XIII of ARRA, called the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH), allocated $19.2 Billion toward the development of healthcare IT. This act seeks to bolster health IT to improve the delivery of healthcare in the U.S. by incentivizing the implementation of EHRs and meaningful use of them. With various provisions and regulations, the Act provides assistance, tools, and resources to providers to allow for implementation and utilization of electronic health records.
- Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Modifications to the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program for 2014 and Other Changes to the EHR Incentive Program; and HIT Aug 2014
Revisions to the Certified EHR Technology Definition and EHR Certification Changes Related to Standards
- HIT: Standards, Implementation Specifications, and Certification Criteria for EHR Technology, 2014 Edition; Revisions to the Permanent Certification Program for Health Information Technology Sep 2012
- Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Electronic Health Record Incentive Program--Stage 2 Final Rule Aug 2012
- Stage 1 versus Stage 2 Comparison Table for Eligible Hospitals and CAHsAug 2012
This document is a tipsheet created by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services that illustrates the differences between Stage 1 and Stage 2 objectives and measures.
About the Final Rule
- CMS: Meaningful Use Stage 2 Website Jun 2014
- CMS Quality Measures Public Comment Page Jun 2014
CMS is calling for public comment on proposed quality measures.
- Eligible Professionals 2015 Hardship Exception Application Jun 2014
This document describes how and who can apply for a 2015 Hardship Exception.
- Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Modifications to the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record Incentive Programs for 2014; and Health Information Technology May 2014
Revisions to the Certified EHR Technology Definition
- Guide for Eligible Professionals Practicing in Multiple Locations Apr 2014
This document describes what requirements eligible professionals must complete when practicing in multiple locations.
- Electronic Health Records Frequently Asked Questions Apr 2014
This interactive document provides users with frequently asked questions in regards to the electronic health record (EHR).
- Payment Adjustments & Hardship Exceptions Tipsheet for Eligible Professionals Mar 2014
Eligible professionals that participate in the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record Incentive programs can be subject to payment adjustments unless they fulfill the meaningful use requirements.
- HIMSS Responds to Senate Finance Committee Hearings Aug 2013
HIMSS has responded to a recent series of three Senate Finance Committee hearings in June and July of this year on health IT and improving the quality of healthcare in America.
- New FAQs Clarify more EHR Meaningful Use Measures Aug 2013
CMS has provided five new FAQs regarding the meaningful use program and HIEs and public health reporting.
- CMS Updates FAQs about Meaningful Use Program Feb 2013
- ONC Committee Addresses EHR Billing, Documentation Problems Feb 2013
- How Stage 2 Raises the Bar on Stage 1 Organizations Feb 2013
This document describes the changes and impacts meaningful use stage 2 will make on eligible professionals, eligible hospitals, and critical access hospitals.
- EHR Incentive Programs Audit Overview Feb 2013
The document describes audits that may occur if the provider has ever taken part in the electronic health record incentive program.
- ONCs Health IT Dashboard: Providers Nationwide Adopt Health IT Dec 2012
This dashboard provides summary information about all ONC HITECH grant programs and detailed data from regional extension centers and community college consortia to education health IT professionals.
- ONC, CMS Make Stage 2 Revisions Dec 2012
The interim final rule allows for public comment and makes several changes that primarily affect hospitals.
- Highlights of the Changes Between Stage 2 Meaningful Use NPRM and Final Rule: What’s new? What’s different? Nov 2012
The purpose of this document is to provide an overview of the major differences between the proposed rule and the final rule.
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures, Measure 1: CPOE for Medication, Laboratory and Radiology Orders Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures, Measure 7: Patient Electronic Access Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures, Measure 8: Clinical Summaries Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures, Measure 9: Protect Electronic Health Information Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures: Clinical Decision Support Tool (Measure 6 of 17) Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures: Clinical Lab-Test Results (Measure 10 of 17) Oct 2012
This document discusses meaningful use core measures for eligible professionals to integrate clinical laboratory tests to the electronic health record (EHR).
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures: Immunization Registries Data Submission (Measure 16 of 17) Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures: Medication Reconciliation (Measure 14 of 17) Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures: Patient Lists (Measure 11 of 17) Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures: Patient-Specific Education Resources (Measure 13 of 17) Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures: Preventative Care (Measure 12 of 17) Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures: Record Demographics (Measure 3 of 17) Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures: Record Smoking Status (Measure 5 of 17) Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures: Record Vital Signs (Measure 4 of 17) Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures: Summary of Care (Measure 15 of 17) Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures: Use Secure Electronic Messaging (Measure 17 of 17) Oct 2012
- Stage 2 Eligible Professional Meaningful Use Core Measures: ePrescribing (Measure 2 of 17) Oct 2012
- HIMSS Topical Review: CMS EHR Incentive Program Stage 2 Final Rule - Eligible Hospital and Critical Access Hospital Clinical Quality Measures and Reporting Oct 2012
- HIMSS Topical Review: CMS EHR Incentive Program Stage 2 Final Rule Rulemaking - Eligible Professionals Clinical Quality Measures and Reporting Oct 2012
- HIMSS Overview of the EHR Incentive Program Stage 2 Final Rule v. 2 Sep 2012
- Payment Adjustments and Hardship Exceptions Tipsheet for Eligible Professionals Aug 2012
The document states the payment adjustments that would be applied to the Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements for those eligible professionals.
- Stage 1 vs. Stage 2 Comparison Table for Eligible Professionals Aug 2012
- Stage 2 Overview Tipsheet Aug 2012
The end of this tipsheet contains a complete list of the Stage 2 core and menu requirements.
- HIMSS Executive Summary: Standards, Implementation Specifications, and Certification Criteria, 2014 Edition, Final Rule Aug 2012
HIMSS has reviewed Standards and Certification rule as promulgated by the ONC on August 23, 2012.
- ONC Fact Sheet: 2014 Edition Standards & Certification Criteria (S&CC) Final Rule Aug 2012
- 2012-2014 Health Information Technology Timeline May 2013
- Provider Deadlines for CMS Programs 2013 Mar 2013
- Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Electronic Health Record Incentive Program-Stage 2; Corrections Oct 2012
- CMS Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs Milestone Timeline Feb 2011
Frequently Asked Questions
- CMS: Frequently Asked Questions May 2014
This website provides both new and old frequently asked questions (FAQs) posted by CMS.
- CMS Responds to Frequently Asked Questions Nov 2012
- CMS Website: EHR Incentive Programs Jun 2014
This link takes you to the official CMS website for the EHR Incentive Programs.
- ARRA Law Mar 2011
- HIMSS Response to ONC on the PCAST Report Jan 2011
- HIMSS Synopsis of PCAST Report on Health IT Dec 2010
- Report to the President: Realizing the Full Potential of Health Information Technology to Improve Healthcare for Americans: The Path Forward Dec 2010
Meaningful Use Rules – Stage 1
- EHR Incentive Programs: What’s New for Stage 1 in 2013 May 2013
The 2013 changes to the Stage 2 Meaningful Use Incentive Programs for eligible hospitals and eligible providers are outlined.
- Meaningful Use Final Rule (HHS - Published 7/28/2010) Oct 2012
This is a PDF of the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs final rule, published in the federal register.
- Guide to Privacy and Security of Health Information Jun 2012
This document is aimed toward eligible professionals and the privacy and security of health information for stage 1.
- HIMSS Initial Commentary on Meaningful Use Final Rule Nov 2010
- HIMSS Initial Commentary on Temporary Certification Program Final Rule Sep 2010
- HIMSS Position Statement on HIPAA Modifications Proposed Rule Sep 2010
- HIMSS Position Statement on Standards, Implementation Specifications, and Certification Criteria Final Rule Sep 2010
- HIMSS Comments to CMS on a Notice of Proposed Rule Making for the "Medicare Program; Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule and Other Revisions to Part B" Aug 2010
- HIMSS Comments to ONC on Standards and Certification Mar 2010
Federal Advisory Committee
- HIT Standards Committee Gets Workgroup, Stage 3 Updates Apr 2013
- HIT Policy Committee Holds March Meeting Mar 2013
- HIT Policy Committee Seeks Members for New AC Workgroup Feb 2013
Nominees should have expertise in ACOs, health analytics, care coordination and/or long term care.
- ONC to Launch Health IT Database for Workgroup Membership Nov 2012
- ONC Privacy Panels will Explore Steps to Verify Patient Identity Oct 2012
- The August HIT Standards Committee Aug 2012
- HIT Policy Committee Concerned Stage 2 has too Many Measures Apr 2012
- HIT Policy Panel Wants to Adjust Some MU2 HIE Plans Apr 2012
- Health IT Policy Committee Recommendation on Stage 2 Jun 2011
- CMS Website for Meaningful Use Clinical Quality Measures (CQMs) Jun 2014
This webpage provides information and resources on the CQMs and how to successfully report them in the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs.
- Data and Program Reports - Meaningful Use Payouts Jun 2014
This website details medicare and medicaid electronic health records incentive program payment and registration data.
- Registration and Attestation: EHR Incentive Programs Jun 2014
- 3-year ONC Rulemaking Roadmap Apr 2014
This document is a roadmap, illustrating the next three years of rulemaking for meaningful use.
- Payment Adjustments & Hardship Exceptions Tipsheet for Eligible Hospitals and CAHs Mar 2014
This document discusses payment adjustments that may be applied to Medicare eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals that do not meet meaningful use criteria of certified electronic health records (EHR).
- Voluntary 2015 Edition Electronic Health Record (EHR) Certification Criteria; Interoperability Updates and Regulatory Improvements; Proposed Rule Feb 2014
This document is the notice of proposed rulemaking for meaningful use stage 3 as stated by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology.
- Clinical Quality Measures Electronic Specifications Feb 2014
Specific details regarding the reporting of the specifications for EPs and eligible hospitals/CAHs are described.
- Stage 2 EHR Incentive Programs Supporting Documentation for Audits Feb 2014
This document discusses the documentation needed for an audit for eligible providers, eligible hospitals, and critical access hospitals that have received an electronic health record incentive payment for stage 2 meaningful use.
- Meaningful Use Stage 2 Grid Dec 2013
This grid provides the meaningful use stage 2 measures and objectives (core and menu) for both eligible hospitals and eligible professionals.
- 2013 - 2014 eHealth Programs Timeline Sep 2013
This document describes the 2013-2014 eHealth programs timeline.
- Understanding and Leveraging MU Stage 2 Optional Transports (SOAP) Presentation Jul 2013
This presentation provides an overview of the meaningful stage 2 objective, transitions of care.
- Medicaid State Information Jun 2013
This program provides incentive payments to eligible professionals that participate in meaningful use.
- Federal Health IT Strategic Plan Progress Report Jun 2013
This document describes the Federal Health IT Strategic Plan 2011-2015. This plan was created by the federal government in order to help healthcare professionals improve health and health care for all through the use of health care technology.
- What Patients Need to Know about Electronic Health Records May 2013
- About the Blue Button - What is the Blue Button? May 2013
The Blue Button is a secure portal for patients to access their medical records. Providers are able to upload and manage the Blue Button for their patients, and by doing this they achieve a meaningful use objective under stage 2.
- Federal Resources to Help Rural Providers Achieve Meaningful Use May 2013
This document discusses federal resources available to rural providers who aim to achieve meaningful use.
- Interoperability Basics May 2013
- Talking to Your Patients about Electronic Health Records May 2013
This document lists talking points about Electronic Health Records (EHRs) for providers to discuss with their patients.
- Key Considerations for Health Information Organizations Supporting Meaningful Use Stage 2 Transition of Care Measures Apr 2013
The purpose of this document is to inform Health Information Exchange Organizations as well as Health Information Service Providers how to support Transitions of Care measures 1, 2, and 3.
- My EHR Participation Timeline Mar 2013
This website can define when a provider will achieve meaningful use and which stage the eligible professional will meet.
- Meaningful Use Stage 2 Interoperability Criteria Training Course Feb 2013
This article discusses the first of five training modules for providers and other users.
- The Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record-Incentive Programs: Stage 2 Toolkit Feb 2013
This is a tool for users that provides resources and information about meaningful use stage 2 for eligible professionals, eligible hospitals, and critical access hospitals.
- Meaningful Use API Documentation Nov 2012
- Certification Programs and Policy - 2014 Edition Draft Test Methods Oct 2012
- CMS Attestation Calculator Oct 2012
This CMS tool helps hospitals and eligible providers assess whether or not they are ready to meet meaningful use requirements.
- An Introduction to the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program for Eligible Professionals Sep 2012
This document provides eligible professionals with information regarding Medicaid Electoninc Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program.
- Frequently Asked Questions: EHR Incentive Programs Stage 2 Sep 2012
This website was created by CMS that describes changes to the EHR Incentive programs.
- Becoming a Meaningful User of EHRs Sep 2012
This document provides resources for meaningful use users regarding Medicare and Medicaid incentive programs, certification programs, and privacy and security.
- PHIN Messaging Guide for Syndromic Surveillance: Emergency Department and Urgent Care Data Aug 2012
Syndromic Surveillance is the collection of "real time" patient data. The surveillance allows the rapid detection of outbreaks and other public health events.
- Do you Have EHR Technology that Meets the New Certified EHR Technology Definition for Meaningful Use Stage 2? Aug 2012
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Meaningful Use-Cancer Aug 2012
This website provides information regarding cancer reporting.
- Registration Guide for Eligible Professionals: Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program Jul 2012
This document is a registration user guide for Medicaid eligible professionals.
- Meaningful Use Downloads Page: Quick Access to Complete 2014 Measure and Value Set Downloads Jun 2012
- How to Implement EHRs Mar 2012
- What Does Attestation for the EHR Incentive Programs Entail? Oct 2011
- Federal Health Information Technology Strategic Plan 2011-2015 Sep 2011
This plan was created by the federal government in order to help healthcare professionals improve health and health care for all through the use of health care technology.
- List of CMS Regional Office and Other External Entity Contacts Apr 2011
- Health IT Regulations: Meaningful Use Regulations Feb 2011
This website provides information regarding Electronic Health Records (EHRs) and meaningful use.
CMS EHR Adoption progress
- A Robust Health Data Infrastructure Apr 2014
This document was prepared for the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality by the MITRE Corporation, and discusses the goals, challenges, and achievements that have been seen by wait of improving the quality of health care and lower costs.
- Progress on Adoption of Electronic Health Records Dec 2013
The article discusses the new Stage 2 MU timeline, now extended through 2016.
- Health Information Technology America’s Healthcare Providers are Using Health IT and EHRs Nov 2013
This document provides statistical information regarding adoption and implementation of electronic health records (EHRs) for both eligible hospitals and eligible professionals.
- ONC Exceeds 2014 Goal for Rural Meaningful Use Attestation Oct 2013
This article discusses the ONC succeeding its goal in assisting rural and critical access hospitals to attest to the meaningful use of electronic health records.
- ONC Blazes Past Meaningful Use Goal for Rural Providers Oct 2013
ONC has surpassed its stated aim of enlisting 1,000 rural and critical access hospitals to meaningful use by the end of 2014.
- June EHR Incentive Program Jun 2013
This document provides the June 2013 for Medicaid and Medicare eligible professionals and eligible hospitals registered for the electronic health record (EHR) incentive program.
- New Fact Sheet from CMS & ONC Shows Health IT Progress Apr 2013
- EHR Incentive Program Payments Total $12.6 Billion in February Apr 2013
- CMS: Meaningful Use EHR Incentives Hit $12.3B in February Mar 2013
With some healthcare providers now into their second year of meaningful use reporting, Medicare and Medicaid electronic health record payments were estimated at $12.3 billion paid to a total of 219,000 physicians and hospitals through February since the program’s inception.
- EHR Incentives over $10B to Date Jan 2013
- Use and Characteristics of Electronic Health Record Systems Among Office-based Physician Practices: United States, 2001–2012; NCHS Data Brief, No 111 Dec 2012
This brief discusses the trends in adoption of electronic health records (EHR) for all states from 2001 to 2012.
- CMS Reports $8.35 Billion in MU Payments to date; 400 Hospitals Registered in October Nov 2012
- CMS: $7.7 billion in EHR payments through September (Modern Healthcare) Nov 2012
- Q3 2012 saw surge of federal health IT activity (iHealthBeat) Oct 2012
- Spotlight and Upcoming events on Meaningful Use (CMS) Oct 2012
- CMS officials offer snapshot of recent MU progress, $7.7 B paid out (Government Health IT) Oct 2012
- CMS: Physician Quality Reporting System and Electronic Prescribing (eRX) Incentive Sep 2012
- Mostashari says meaningful use incentives estimated to reach $20 billion by 2015 (Government Health IT) Sep 2012
- The Road to Stage 2 Meaningful Use: Q &A with CMS’ Office of E-Health Standards and Services Director, Elizabeth Holland (Beckers Hospital Review) Sep 2012
- CMS EHR incentive payments flirt with $7 billion (Government Health IT) Sep 2012
- Physician adoption of electronic health record systems: United States, 2011 (CDC) Jul 2012
- EHR payments exceed 110,000 providers (Government Health IT) Jun 2012
- Meaningful Use Numbers Grow, But Are Providers Ready for Stage 2? (Fierce Health IT) May 2012
- CMS EHR incentive payments surpass $5B (Government Health IT) May 2012
- 2012: The year of meaningful use (CMS Blog) Mar 2012
- Spring, progress vs. perfection in EHR meaningful use adoption (American EHR Partners) Mar 2012
- Medicare & Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs (CMS PPT) Mar 2012
- Measuring Health IT Adoption (ONC) May 2010
Related News Items
- Groups React to Final Rule Delaying Parts of Meaningful Use Program Sep 2014
This article aggregates the reaction of a few health care organizations and stakeholders from the recently released decision to delay parts of the final rule in the meaningful use program.
- Modifications to CMS’ Meaningful Use Rule Finalized for 2014 Sep 2014
The American Academy of Family Physician (AAFP) has responded generally positively to the Meaningful Use final rule modifications.
- CMS Officially Pushes Meaningful Use Stage 3 to 2017, Offers Flexibility In 2014 Aug 2014
This article offers updated information regarding finalizing Stage 2 Meaningful Use modifications and the timeline of Stage 3.
- CMS finalizes EHR meaningful-use rule, adds some flexibility Aug 2014
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) finalized a Meaningful Use Rule, which was initially drafted in May 2014.
- BREAKING NEWS: CMS and ONC Finalize Regulation on Stage 2 MU Reporting—Without Flexibility Aug 2014
CMS and ONC have confidently made a final regulation on Stage 2 MU Reporting that has left the CHIME disappointed.
- Obama Official: Make Health IT Real for People to Speed Adoption May 2014
A brief summary of 3 articles on current health policy coverage from Kaiser Health News’ Daily Report.
- Change in the Works for Standards Panel Apr 2014
This article reports how moving forward into the future the Committee plans to focus less on creating meaningful use standards and more on supporting EHR users.
- Review of Q1 2014 Federal Health IT Activity Apr 2014
This article provides highlights from 2014 first quarter federal health IT activity.
- DeSalvo Charts New Course for ONC Apr 2014
The Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) developed workgroups to address growth in health information technology.
- DeSalvo Unveils Plan to Transition ONC to ‘Less Siloed’ Workgroups Apr 2014
Karen DeSalvo, National Coordinator for Health IT, believes now is the opportune time to readjust workgroups.
- Standards Committee’s Take on MU Stage 3? Too Prescriptive! Mar 2014
The Health IT Standards Committee recently reviewed Stage 3 recommendations.
- Feds Look to Make Meaningful Use Stage 3 Feasible Mar 2014
Several research projects are being conducted to provide assistance in the final development of Stage 3 Meaningful Use objectives.
- Lab Result Interfaces: MU Stage 2 Drives Improvements, but are They Enough? Mar 2014
This article discusses the reporting and viewing of lab results in conjunction with an electronic health record (EHR).
- AHRQ Has a Dozen MU Stage 3 Research Projects Under Way Mar 2014
This article addresses the concerns felt by some Health IT Policy Committee members, and probably many other professionals, following the Meaningful Use program.
- HHS Lays Out 4-part Health IT Strategic Plan Mar 2014
Health information technology has been identified by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as a key in its latest strategic plan outlined with four major goals.
- HHS’ FY2014-2018 Strategic Plan Prioritizes Meaningful Use of EHRs Mar 2014
This article reports that health IT rates a top priority for the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) in its strategic plan for FY2014-2018.
- Health IT, MU Highlighted in HHS Strategic Plan Mar 2014
Meaningful use of health IT data does not appear to be fading anytime soon.
- Washington Debrief: More Details Emerge on MU Hardship Exemptions Mar 2014
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is beginning to release more details on the Meaningful Use Hardship Exceptions.
- Federal Panel Scales Back MU Stage 3 Mar 2014
- HIT Policy Committee Approves Stage 3 Recs After Debate Mar 2014
The Health Information Technology (HIT) Committee approved Stage 3 Meaningful Use recommendations on March 11, 2014.
- Health IT Policy Committee Approves MU Stage 3 Recommendations Mar 2014
The Health IT Policy Committee is making progress on approving Stage 3 Meaningful Use recommendations.
- ONC Eyes EHR ‘Shades of Grey’ in Behavioral Health Mar 2014
Little has been said about electronic health record (EHR) systems in behavioral health and long-term post-acute care units.
- Preliminary Stage 3 Meaningful Use Recommendations Released Mar 2014
Stage 3 Meaningful Use recommendations continue to be discussed by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC) workgroup.
- HITECH Turns 5 Feb 2014
This article discusses the five-year anniversary of the passage of the Health Information Technology and Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) as part of the American Recovery and Revitalization Act.
- ONC to ‘Harmonize Efforts’ for Policy Horizon Feb 2014
This article offers a few thoughts from Karen DeSalvo, MD, the national health IT leader, and other leaders about the future of health IT and future policies.
- Stage 3 MU Now in the Making Feb 2014
Conversations about Stage 3 Meaningful Use are circulating the health IT community and the ONC Meaningful Use workgroup has begun to submit draft recommendations.
- Proposed SGR Fix Revamps Meaningful Use Program Feb 2014
With the direction of the Meaningful Use program still slightly unclear in some areas, there is yet another proposed legislation that will significantly change the program.
- HITPC: MU Workgroup Previews Stage 3 Recommendations Feb 2014
This article provides an insiders look to Meaningful Use Stage 3 draft recommendations taking place in workgroup meetings.
- The Meaningful Use Workgroup Recommendations Feb 2014
Early in this article important Stage 3 dates are identified beginning with reviewing draft recommendations and the effective start date of Stage 3.