The Health Information Technology Advisory Committee (HITAC) met for their first public meeting on January 18, 2018. HITAC, outlined in Section 3002 of the 21st Century Cures Act, will make recommendations to the National Coordinator in the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) on a policy framework to advance an interoperable health information technology infrastructure. The agenda covered topics such as an overview the 21st Century Cures Act, updates from the ONC Office of Standards and Technology, and a presentation on the Trusted Exchange Framework.
HIMSS is very interested in becoming engaged in the work of the new Advisory Committee, and contributing to their efforts as they tackle 21st Century Cures implementation, particularly around the implementation of the Trusted Exchange Framework and Common Agreement.
Elise Anthony, Director, Office of Policy, ONC, mentioned several resources to include resources for the 2015 Edition Health IT Certification Criteria (2015 Edition), an updated 2018 version of the Model Privacy Notice, ongoing updates to the ONC Health IT Playbook, and an Educational Module for Long-Term and Post-Acute Care Providers. In terms of the 21st Century Cures Act, Anthony noted that ONC is anticipating the release of New Proposed Rule Making in April on numerous Cures provisions.
The Draft Trusted Exchange Framework was discussed in detail by Genevieve Morris, Principal Deputy National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. The draft Framework is open for public comment through February 20, 2018.
- Trusted Exchange Framework Task Force
- Charged with developing and advancing recommendations on Parts A and B of the Draft Trusted Exchange Framework and Common Agreement (TEFCA).
- U.S. Core Data for Interoperability Task Force
- Charged with reviewing and providing feedback on the U.S. Core Data for Interoperability (USCDI) structure and process
- Those interested in participating on either task force can apply here.
The next HITAC meeting will be held on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 from 9:30am – 2:30pm