The nomination period for this award is now closed.
Award recipients will be notified in December.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
HIMSS 2019 Recipient
This award is named in honor of John E. Gall Jr., who pioneered the implementation of healthcare information systems at El Camino Hospital in the 1960s.
The John E. Gall Jr. CIO of the Year Award recognizes a CIO who demonstrates significant leadership in healthcare. The award is given for a lifetime of success and achievement as a CIO in the healthcare IT industry. The recipient is selected jointly by the Board of Directors of the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) and the Healthcare Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS).
The recipient must be a CHIME and HIMSS member with a minimum of five years of membership (cannot be a current CHIME or HIMSS Board Member or award judge).
Previous award recipients who have won this award in the past five years are exempt from consideration. Senior leadership from either CHIME or HIMSS may not nominate a candidate for the award. Any person meeting the eligibility and required criteria may be nominated. Candidates may also nominate themselves for the award. Only completed applications submitted by the published deadline will be considered. Please refrain from submitting a nomination for someone who fits this criteria.
To be considered for the award, nominees must demonstrate the following:
- Active employment as a CIO at the time of submission of the nomination
- Current membership in good standing of both CHIME and HIMSS
- The organization for whom the CIO is employed by is not under regulatory or other review which may prohibit the CIO from accepting the award, if nominated. (Example: The organization is involved in a HIPAA privacy breach investigation by the Office of the Civil Rights that may directly involve practices, policies, or guidelines under the auspices of the CIO.)
- Significant participation in either leadership or organizational activities of CHIME and/or HIMSS (i.e. Board of Directors, Board Appointed Committee, Fellows Council, etc.)
- Innovative leadership through effective use of technology in support of the strategic initiatives of his/her organization
Additional Eligibility and Requirements
- Representation of the highest standards of leadership in health IT
- Respect and recognition as a role model to peers and the industry
- Advancement of the professional standards embraced by CHIME and HIMSS
- At least one industry designation (CHCIO, FCHIME, CPHIMS, or FHIMSS)
To be considered for this award, applicants must submit:
- A completed application using the online nomination form
- A brief biographical sketch that demonstrates why the nominee should be considered for the award (1,000 words or less)
- Resume/curriculum vitae – provide both employment history and notable achievements for each position held
- One letter of recommendation from a CHIME Fellow and one from a HIMSS Fellow
2018 Randy McCleese, CHCIO, FCHIME, LCHIME, FHIMSS
2017 Pamela Arora
2016 Craig Richardville
2015 Sue Schade
2014 Edward Marx
2013 Jim Turnbull
2012 Rick Schooler
2011 Charles E. Christian
2010 William A. Spooner
2009 Patricia Skarulis
2008 George Hickman
2007 Eric B. Yablonka
2006 Timothy Stettheimer
2005 Gregory Walton
2004 Timothy R. Zoph
2003 Pamela G. McNutt
2002 Richard I. Skinner
2001 Charles C. Emery
2000 Stephanie Reel