The term ‘big data’ has become extremely common in everyday business vocabulary, and it seems that every industry is focused on implementing big data strategies and projects This leads to considerable confusion about what constitutes big data and how organizations should address their big data challenges.
From start-to-finish, this multi-part series teaches the basics of how to utilize and operationalize "big data" using health IT.
- Part 1: What is Big Data? HIMSS, August 2014
Learn about wide and narrow definitions of "Big Data" and analytics for clinical and business intelligence.
- Part 2: A Big Data Reference Architecture HIMSS, August 2014
The C&BI reference architecture is expanded to describe one way to incorporate Big Data to handle a simple use case.
Learn more about Big Data:
- What is Big Data? (Villanova University)
An overview of Big Data basics.
- 900 Seconds: Using Big Data, Workflow, Usability and CDS in a 15-Minute Patient Visit – May 27, 2014
Discover how Big Data, Workflow, Usability, and CDS come together to produce an efficient, standard 15 minute doctor visit.
- Big Data & Science for Transforming Health Care – Jul 14, 2014
I am assuming that you, like me, attend a number of conferences each year. Some are good, some are OK, and few are memorable. But one of the more memorable events I attended this year was the 2014 Nursing Knowledge: Big Data & Science for Transforming Health Care Conference, hosted by the University of Minnesota, School of Nursing.
- The Big Data Cure: The Future of Big Data in Federal Healthcare – Jun 20, 2014
On June 17th, at the Government Health IT Conference & Exhibition, Audie Hittle, CISSP and ICSEA certified, Chief Technology Officer Federal at EMC, gave a presentation titled The Big Data Cure: The Future of Big Data in Federal Healthcare.
- DeSalvo Sets Her Sights on Big Data – May 08, 2014
This article discusses going being meaningful use of electronic health records and using big data.
- White House Releases Report on Big Data; Cites Health IT Work and Calls for HIPAA Assessments – May 01, 2014
The White House has released "Big Data: Seizing Opportunities, Preserving Values," a report led by President Obamas Counselor John Podesta, after he was charged by the President to lead a 90-day review of big data and privacy.
- Big Data and Analytics - An Industry Perspective Question & Answer Session – Feb 04, 2014
Background on how the pharmaceutical and device industry are viewing big data and developing capabilities focused on utilizing multiple data sources to answer internal business and scientific questions.
- Big Data: Farming vs. Mining – Nov 08, 2013
Big Data is suffering under the weight of more breathless, dewy-eyed hype than any genuinely promising technology should ever have to bear. Sadly, most C-level healthcare executives, even the ones that know they want it, couldnt give a quick and cogent description of what it is.