While C-CDA (Consolidated Clinical Document Architecture) is regularly used in data exchange across the health IT community, the various types of C-CDA documents available for exchange are not well understood. This Roundtable will describe the 12 document types defined in C-CDA, highlight the similarities and differences of the sections within those documents, and show how C-CDA document and section templates can be leveraged as building blocks for more meaningful data exchange. Health Story Project members Lisa Nelson and Laura Bryan will trace the evolution of these document types and their intended purposes. Patty Lewis of Coastal Connect HIE, Christine Perfili with the Utah Department of Health, and Shan He from Intermountain Healthcare will provide real-world examples showing how various types of C-CDA documents are being used to benefit health information exchange and how these organizations leverage different document formats.
Following this roundtable, attendees should be able to:
- Understand the history of C-CDA document development and intended purpose
- List the 12 document types in C-CDA R2.1
- Explore the similarities and differences in sections included among the document types available
- Discuss why using the right type of document improves information exchange
- Examine how Discharge Summaries, Referral Notes and Progress Notes are used in current implementations.
Laura Bryan, MT(ASCP), CHDS, AHDI-F, Vice President, MedEDocs Transcription
Lisa Nelson, MS, MBA, Life Over Time Solutions
Patty Lewis, RHIT, CHTS-PW, Implementation Lead, Coastal Connect Health Information Exchange
Christine Perfili, MBA, BS, CHARM Program Manager, Utah Department of Health
Shan He, PhD, Senior Medical Informaticist, Intermountain Healthcare
Participation in this event has been pre-approved for 1 hour of credit on your CAHIMS/CPHIMS application for recertification. All hours must be self-reported in your HIMSS online record.