This virtual briefing will explore the HIT user experience (UX) and the impacts of UX on efficient quality care delivery. A diverse assembly of vendors, administrators, and clinicians will share their perspectives and prescriptions on the role that the user’s experience plays in their daily workflow, when assessing the return on investment for Health IT, and in the current research on UX’s effect across the continuum of care.
Improving the User Experience: A Roadmap to Safer, More Effective Health IT
An UX professional will discuss their perspectives on the role user experience plays in the designing, building, and testing software and or hardware utilized in delivering HIT. Our speaker will discuss the critical UX factors to consider for both the HIT buyer and seller.
- Identify gaps in communication between vendors and clients relative to UX assessments and system optimization
- Examine the relationship between optimizing UX and obtaining the full benefit of HIT investment
- Describe methods, benefits and challenges of UX testing and evaluation
Director, Healthcare User Experience
An experienced health system executive will discuss the ways incorporating User Centered Design in HIT development and optimization. Mature HIT usability can decrease total cost of ownership for HIT products and improve organizational financial outcomes. Potential ROI from improved HIT interfaces will be discussed. The costs and benefits of revamping vs. replacing legacy IT systems to achieve better UX will be explored.
- Discuss health system executives’ views on UCD and UX with HIT
- Correlate investments in UX with improved organizational financial outcomes
- Identify indicators of ROI for UX focused improvements to HIT
University of Missouri Health Care
This session will explore the evidence-base related to user centered design and UX within the framework of HIT. Studies applicable to the role of UX and UCD in software and hardware design, system implementation/configuration, and clinical work processes will be analyzed to identify best practices.
- Identify resources for UCD and UX research and evaluation studies
- Discuss the current state of the UX evidence-base
- Describe evidence-based methods to improve UCD and UX
Senior Human Factors Research Scientist
MedStar National Center for Human Factors Engineering in Healthcare