Purpose and History
Entrants to health information and technology careers are not keeping pace with demand, which is compounded by the low number of minorities pursuing careers in the field. The Certified Associate in Healthcare Information and Management Systems (CAHIMS)TM Grant for Minority Professionals and Students seeks to address these issues by attracting and equipping a more diverse workforce.
Created by the HIMSS Global Health Equity Network and the HIMSS Foundation, this new grant provides underrepresented health information and technology professionals and students with preparation materials and financial resources to attain CAHIMS certification. If you’re new to the field or have limited professional experience, CAHIMS certification can help you distinguish yourself in an increasingly competitive marketplace:
- Demonstrate proficient knowledge in health information technology and management systems
- Develop a solid foundation to strengthen abilities, acquire experience and advance your career options
The grant is open to applicants across the globe. To be eligible, you must:
- Belong to a minority, underrepresented or underserved community, including but not limited to African, African American, Hispanic, Indigenous, Latinx and Pacific Islander
- Be pursuing a career or degree in health information and technology or management systems
Valued at more than $1,000, grant recipients will receive:
- One (1) copy of the CAHIMS Review Guide
- One (1) registration for the Healthcare IT Foundations Course
- One (1) registration for the CAHIMS Review Course webinar
- One (1) registration sitting for the CAHIMS Exam
- One (1) one-year HIMSS individual membership
- Applications will be reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis until cohorts are filled.
- Recipients will be admitted into one of two 12-week cohorts. Recipients are expected to prepare and apply for the CAHIMS Exam within the timeline of the cohort to which they are assigned.
- Cohort 1:
- June 7 – August 27, 2021
- Must apply for exam by August 27, 2021
- Cohort 2
- September 20 – December 10, 2021
- Must apply for exam by December 10, 2021
- Cohort 1:
Only 50 spots are available—apply for the grant today.
The views and opinions expressed in this content or by commenters are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HIMSS or its affiliates.