Global Health Conference Education Committee
The Global Health Conference Education Committee (GHCEC) is responsible for identifying and programming high quality educational opportunities at the HIMSS Global Health Conference and Exhibition. The GHCEC consists of a group members who each represent an industry, profession, or community within HIMSS. The planning year for the GHCEC runs July 1 to June 30.
In order to apply to this committee, you must be a HIMSS member and have served as a HIMSS conference proposal reviewer for at least two (2) years.
The information below will provide you with an overview of the responsibilities of the Global Health Conference Education Committee, and illustrate the importance of the committee to the success of the HIMSS Global Health Conference & Exhibition educational programming.
GHCEC Committee Structure:
Purpose: To identify and program high quality educational opportunities at the Global HIMSS Conference and Exhibition.
- A volunteer from the GHCEC may be named by the HIMSS Board Chair
- Serves 2 years on the committee by end of chair term
- Must be a HIMSS member
- The HIMSS Board Chair or designee who will be in office at the upcoming Global Conference & Exhibition
- 16 volunteers appointed by the HIMSS Board Chair (selections based on geographic location, topic category expertise, and years of experience within industry)
- Must be HIMSS members and have participated as a proposal reviewer for two years
- GHCEC members must not submit proposals during their term of service
- Volunteers approved by the GHCEC Chair
- Must be HIMSS members
- A HIMSS member must be a reviewer for at least two years, but not necessarily consecutively, before they may be selected as a member of the GHCEC
- Continuing Education Accrediting Agency Representative (PIM).
- PIM provides a Staff Member to attend the GCEC planning meeting, optional.
- The PIM representative is a non-voting member that serves in a continuing education consultant role.
HIMSS Staff Liaisons:
- Harold “Hal” Wolf III, President and CEO
- JoAnn W. Klinedinst, MEd, CPHIMS, PMP, DES, FHIMSS, FACHE, Vice President, Professional Development (email@example.com)
- Gail L. Rice, MA, Senior Director, Professional Development (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Deb Clough, Manager, Global Conference Education (email@example.com)
- Monthly committee conference calls
- Conference calls in August with Reviewers to discuss and recommend proposals as conference sessions
- Supplemental committee conference calls as necessary
- A face-to-face meeting in August or September timeframe prior to the upcoming conference
- A face-to-face meeting at the HIMSS Global Conference & Exhibition
Definition of Responsibilities/Benefits
Global Health Conference Education Committee Chair
GHCEC Chair Responsibilities
- Works with HIMSS staff to develop agendas for the GHCEC meetings and conference calls after consulting with the staff.
- Assures that committee members are apprised of all committee business, adhere to assigned projects and meet target dates.
- Provides feedback and counsel to HIMSS staff and committee members.
- May be asked to represent HIMSS on "goodwill" collaborations with other organizations, or serve on HIMSS special plan and scope projects.
- Attends the Incoming Committee Chair meeting for the year of their term.
- Reports out to other committee chairs during quarterly steering committee conference calls.
- Serves a one-year term under current HIMSS bylaws.
GHCEC Chair Benefits and Rewards
- Earns 15 points for advancement to HIMSS Senior Member and Fellow Status.
- Receives a complimentary conference registration.
- Receives recognition on the web site and on-site.
- Receives hotel and travel costs to attend the Incoming Committee Chair meeting.
- Provides educational value by broadening the knowledge base of conference participants.
- Has the opportunity to play a key role in developing the conference curriculum and direction.
- Increases their peer networking opportunities.
Global Health Conference Education Committee Members
Committee member responsibilities:
- Two year term
- Participate in all conference calls and attend two face-to-face committee meetings during the year.
- Review proposals within their assigned topic category.
- Monitor work and review/evaluate results of the Reviewers.
- Act as primary representatives for assigned topic area(s) to Reviewers and HIMSS staff.
- Recommend proposals to schedule as sessions per assigned topic category.
- Provide suggestions on speakers and topics for consideration at the conference.
- Moderate sessions at conference, if needed.
- Attend sessions during the conference to evaluate them.
- Participate in conference calls to assist in the identification of Topic Categories for the conference to be held the year following the year of the conference for which they plan.
Committee Member Benefit and Rewards:
- Earn 7 points for advancement to HIMSS Senior Member and Fellow Status.
- Receive a complimentary conference registration
- Receive recognition on the web site and on-site.
- Receive educational value by broadening their knowledge base.
- Play a key role in developing HIMSS Global Conference curriculum and direction.
- Increase their opportunities for peer network.