Blockchain and distributed ledger technologies have great potential across healthcare to improve patient care and reduce costs. These emerging technologies have already started to take hold in healthcare networks: from clearinghouses to drug supply chains, provider-credentialing processes, and other critical areas. As the industry learns more about the applications and impact of this technology and its potential role in furthering interoperability and health information exchange, HIMSS will provide you with thought leadership and resources in the Blockchain in Healthcare Toolkit. See below to get started.
- Women in Blockchain: Making a Difference in Healthcare through Distributed Ledger Technology | September 2018
- Blockchain - Hype and Reality - What's Working in Healthcare? | September 2018
- Part 2 HIMSS18 Presentation: Blockchain Reset - Seeing Through the Hype and Starting Down the Path | June 2018
- Part 1: Blockchain Reset: Seeing through the Hype and Starting down the Path | March 2018
- Blog: #WomeninHIT are a Driving Force Behind Blockchain Technology | October 2018
- Blog: Blockchain in Healthcare: The Case for Pragmatic Innovation | April 2018
This blog highlights key points included in the HIMSS Blockchain Work Group article published in Blockchain in Healthcare Today, linked below.
- Article: Pragmatic, Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technology: Paving the Future for Healthcare | March 2018
The Blockchain Work Group's article included in the inaugural issue of Blockchain in Healthcare Today.
- Blog: Part 2: Healthcare Blockchain – A Path to Success in 2018 | February 2018
Learn more about the layered approach to understanding the potential for blockchain and review key business and technical factors to consider in implementation.
- Blog: Block What? | December 2017
Read this for a quick 101 on the technology and role in healthcare.
- Blog: Part 1: Navigating the Blockchain Landscape – Opportunities in Digital Health | October 2017
Review key questions for consideration as the healthcare landscape prepares to integrate blockchain strategy into existing systems.
Please visit the following links to learn more about ongoing work in the industry.
Blockchain in Healthcare Today is an open access online, peer review journal where thought leaders and innovators converge to find solutions in a new health technology sector.
ONC 2016 Blockchain Challenge: The "Use of Blockchain in Health IT and Health-Related Research" Ideation Challenge solicits white papers on the topic of Blockchain technology and the potential use in health IT to address privacy, security, and scalability challenges of managing electronic health records and resources. Fifteen white papers were selected as winners.