The Kansas Health Information Network is a physician-led HIE incorporated in 2010 and managed by the Kansas Medical Society and the Kansas Hospital Association. KHIN has over 900 member entities in six states that are actively sharing data across the KHIN network.
The clinical data exchanged "in the real world" is messy:
- Wrong terminology is used to structure data
- Terminologies are too complex for simple queries
- Clinicians enter free-text rather than structured data
- Values aren't in right units and interpretations omitted
- Variation due to clinical practice and technology used