Health IT Terminology
The below additional links provide specific standards for health IT terminology.
Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes (LOINC®) is a universal code system for identifying laboratory and clinical observations.
- What the Heck is LOINC and Where Do I Start?
- RSNA and Regenstrief Launch Collaboration to Unify Radiology Procedure Naming
- Systematized Nomenclature of Medicine--Clinical Terms (SNOMED CT) is a comprehensive clinical terminology, originally created by the College of American Pathologists (CAP).
- As of April 2007, is owned, maintained, and distributed by the International Health Terminology Standards Development Organisation (IHTSDO), a not-for-profit association in Denmark. The CAP continues to support SNOMED CT operations under contract to the IHTSDO and provides SNOMED-related products and services as a licensee of the terminology.
The below additional links provide specific standards for prescription drugs and pharmacy information.
National Council for Prescription Drug Programs (NCPDP)
- NCPDP on Pharmacy Data Exchange Standards
- NCPDP Standards for Electronic Prescribing 101 - Power Point Training Apr 2014
- RxNav is a browser for several drug information sources, including RxNorm, RxTerms and NDF-RT. RxNav finds drugs in RxNorm from the names and codes in its constituent vocabularies.
- Unified Medical Language System (UMLS)®
Veteran Health Administration (VHA)
- National Drug File - Reference Terminology (NDF-RT) U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, VHA
- NDF-RT API from NLM
*Note: This page is heavily focused on U.S. Standard Development Organizations (SDOs) however these groups intend to harmonize with international consensus-based standards.