LAS VEGAS, Feb. 29, 2016 – HIMSS, the global voice and thought leader of health transformation through the best use of information technology, has announced the unveiling of its inaugural Annual Most Influential Women in Health IT Awards, a first-of-its-kind awards program recognizing influential women at all stages of their career progressions.
HIMSS’ Most Influential Women in Health IT Awards ceremony – which kicks off Fall 2016 – is part of a new HIMSS initiative dedicated to addressing the gender gap in health IT and the need for more recognition of women sector-wide. Unlike other award programs, the Most Influential Women in Health IT Awards features a judging panel of top female leaders who will define the nomination criteria across several different categories, and select awardees.
"HIMSS is committed to empowering and advancing high-performing professionals in our mission to improve health through the best use of IT. We’ve made it a priority to provide community, resources and recognition to women who have made – and continue to make – significant contributions to the field,” said Carla Smith, Executive Vice President of HIMSS. “Our inaugural Most Influential Women in Health IT Awards, which celebrates those female visionaries harnessing the power of IT to transform health and healthcare, is unique among power lists and award programs; it’s inclusive of all women of influence, no matter where they may be in the health IT field.”
HIMSS’ 2016 Most Influential Women in Health IT Awards judges:
- Dana Alexander, RN, MSN, MBA, FAAN, FHIMSS, Vice President of Divurgent Technologies; FY16 Chairwoman of the HIMSS North America Board of Directors
- Diane M. Carr, MA, FHIMSS, Healthcare Executive and Educator
- Molly Coye, MD, MPH, Executive in Residence, AVIA
- Jennifer Dennard, Founder, #HealthITChicks
- Adrienne Edens, MA, FCHIME, FHIMSS, Vice President of Education, CHIME
- Willa Fields, DNSc, RN, FHIMSS, Professor at San Diego State University, FY13 Chairwoman of the HIMSS Board of Directors
- Denise Hines, DHA, PMP, FHIMSS, CEO of eHealth Services Group; FY18 Chairwoman of the HIMSS North America Board of Directors
- Regina Holliday, Founder, The Walking Gallery
- Carla Smith, MA, CNM, FHIMSS, Executive Vice President, HIMSS
After surveying over 20,000 women in 2015 about the current state of women’s professional needs in health IT, HIMSS identified a need for expanded recognition of women sector-wide. Some 83 percent of respondents said there remains insufficient recognition of women executives in health IT, and an overwhelming 85 percent would find value in a resource recognizing contributions of women.
That’s why, in addition to the Most Influential Women in Health IT Awards – and our long-established events dedicated to women in the field – HIMSS has also introduced several new initiatives honoring the contributions women have made in health IT, and is committed to adding gender-focused resources for networking, mentoring and career advancement.
HIMSS 2016 initiatives for women include:
- HIMSS16 Annual Women in Health IT Networking Reception
- HIMSS16 Women in Health IT Roundtable – Empowering Women in Health IT Through Recognition, Resources and Access
- Curated content and resources via a special section dedicated to #WomeninHIT on HealthcareITNews.com
- A monthly eNewsletter, featuring exclusive content and career resources dedicated to women
- Publishing research on gender-based assessments of career compensation
- Most Influential Women in Health IT special August issue of Healthcare IT News
HIMSS is a global, cause-based, not-for-profit organization focused on better health through information technology. In North America, HIMSS focuses on IT thought leadership, education, events, market research and media services. Founded in 1961, HIMSS encompasses more than 64,000 individuals, of which more than two-thirds work in healthcare provider, governmental and not-for profit organizations across the globe, plus over 640 corporations and 450 not-for-profit partner organizations that share this cause.
About Healthcare IT News
Healthcare IT News, a HIMSS Media publication, is the industry’s authoritative source covering the people, policy and technology driving next-generation healthcare in the U.S. For more than 12 years, it has been the leading voice of health IT, delivering strong and unbiased editorial insights on compelling topics such as electronic health records, health information exchange, privacy and security, data analytics, patient engagement, population health and revenue cycle management. Healthcare IT News’ audience spans across all media platforms and reaches some 54,100 qualified print subscribers and has more than 240,600 readers for print and digital products. For more information, visit HealthcareITNews.com.