Thompson H. Boyd, III, MD, FHIMSS, FACHE, FABQAURP, CPHIMS, CHCQM, CHFP
Medical Director of Informatics – Physician Liaison
Hahnemann University Hospital
Dr. Thompson Boyd has more than 25 years of experience as a practicing physician; 10 years as physician liaison; and 2 years as medical director of informatics.
Dr. Boyd’s expertise includes:
- Utilization Review/Denial Management/Medicare Compliance: Facilitates hospital observation program regarding patient status; encourages appropriate medical documentation supporting medical necessity; educates house staff physicians and attending physicians on new concepts in Medicare compliance and documentation of medical necessity; facilitates clinical documentation improvements efforts.
- Medical Informatics/Information Services: Computerized physician order entry; implements clinical decision support tools; facilitated design and improved features: medication reconciliation software; facilitated design for an automated electronic discharge for including core measures; maximizes usability in the promotion of patient safety, has been in CPOE environment since mid-1980’s and has recently transitioned to a third electronic health record.
- Public Policy: Through the Pennsylvania eHealth Initiative, works with statewide efforts for information sharing; as a member of HIMSS Public Policy Awards and Asks Workgroups has worked for increased awareness of the value of telehealth among members of the US Congress. Received the Spirit of HIMSS award in October 2012.
- As a member of the Operations Work Group, Query Health Initiative of the Standards & Interoperability Framework in the Office of the National Coordinator has worked on the Health eDecisions Initiative to develop standards and workflow design for the portability of clinical decision support.
- Privacy and Security: Ensure clinical systems physicians use and adhere to privacy and security rules and regulations (HIPAA, HIPAA Omnibus, and HITECH). Co-led the HIMSS public policy task force in 2015-2016.
Dr. Boyd has served on the following HIMSS Committees: Privacy and Security, Public Policy, Clinical & Business Intelligence, Annual Conference Education (ACEC), including one year as Chair. The ACEC committee won the best attendee satisfaction score since 2004. He is also a member of the preconference task force for compliance (a new pre-session currently in design), the Interoperability Standards Advisory Task Force, and the board of the Delaware Valley Chapter of HIMSS as well as the advocacy committee.