Healthcare Student Opportunities
HIMSS offers a variety of healthcare student opportunities, including scholarships from the HIMSS Foundation, the HIMSS Student Case Competition, and HIMSS Emerging Healthcare Leaders Poster Sessions.
The HIMSS Foundation awards scholarships annually to HIMSS student members who have achieved academic excellence and demonstrate the potential to be future leaders in health information and technology.
The call for scholarship applications is now closed. Scholarship recipients will be notified in April 2021. For more information contact email@example.com
HIMSS Foundation Scholarships
- Healthcare Information Management Systems: Undergraduate and Master’s students
- Richard P. Covert, PhD, LFHIMSS Scholarship for Management Systems
- Steve Lieber Innovator Scholarship
HIMSS Foundation Chapter-Supported Scholarships
HIMSS also offers healthcare student scholarships that are sponsored by local HIMSS chapters. Chapter scholarships vary annually. The 2021 scholarships are:
- HIMSS Georgia Chapter Scholarship
- HIMSS Midwest Gateway Chapter Scholarship
- HIMSS South Florida Chapter Scholarship
- HIMSS South Texas Chapter Scholarship
- HIMSS Virginia Chapter Scholarship
Other HIMSS Chapter-Supported Scholarships
Many HIMSS Chapters also support scholarships outside of the HIMSS Foundation. Please visit chapter websites to learn more about scholarships available. Visit our complete list of local chapter websites here.
Learn more about HIMSS Foundation and HIMSS Chapter supported scholarships.
HIMSS Student Case Competition
The HIMSS Student Case Competition provides student opportunities for interdisciplinary teams, with a maximum of three (3) team members each, composed of undergraduate, graduate, residents or fellows, to demonstrate proficiency in understanding the vast body of knowledge that comprises health information and technology. By analyzing a HIMSS-supplied case study, teams have the opportunity to “design the future” with an eye toward transformative care today. From this analysis, teams apply recommendations that support current health information and technology practices that involve transformative care, while coupling recommendations with advocacy outreach at the federal and state levels.
The competition was established in 2017 with a generous donation honoring former HIMSS employee Marc Holland. As vice president of HIMSS Analytics, Marc was engaged in his life’s work. Although his life was cut short, HIMSS is grateful to honor Marc’s passion and conviction for health information and technology with a competition designed for healthcare students.
“We were so pleased to see the creation of the HIMSS Student Case Competition in honor of our late father, Marc Holland. Many of the technological innovations taking place today in the healthcare sector, and indeed the world, were his vision from his very first job as an IT analyst with the Montefiore Medical Center in the 1970s. Advocating for universal access to digital medical records, using technology to coordinate care among practitioners and hospital networks, while maintaining security and privacy, was a lonely crusade in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It wasn't until data became a ubiquitous part of our lives in the early 2000s that the work he cared so deeply about came into the mainstream. Therefore, this competition is very fitting of his legacy. Thank you!” – Craig Holland and Michele Groner, Marc Holland’s Children
The 2021 competition submission period is now closed.
Awards and Recognition
In recognition of the work required to prepare a winning case analysis, HIMSS is pleased to provide awards for first, second and third places.
- First Place: Complimentary full registration for up to three (3) team members and one (1) faculty member to attend the HIMSS Global Health Conference & Exhibition. All expenses paid for up to three (3) attendees to include: two (2) nights' hotel to attend the conference; coach airfare (up to $450); and $200 honorarium. Opportunity to present analysis of case competition during the conference; symbol of recognition; and public announcement in an official HIMSS publication and on relevant website(s).
- Second Place: Complimentary full registration for up to three (3) team members and one (1) faculty member to attend the HIMSS Global Health Conference & Exhibition; symbol of recognition; public announcement in an official HIMSS publication and on relevant website(s).
- Third Place: Symbol of recognition; public announcement in an official HIMSS publication and on relevant website(s).
2020 Winning Team
The 2020 winning team from the University of Alabama at Birmingham utilized a case study focused on medication safety strategy from 2015 Davies Enterprise Award Recipient Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, part of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. View their winning presentation.
HIMSS Emerging Healthcare Leaders Poster Sessions
The HIMSS Emerging Healthcare Leaders Poster Sessions provide opportunities to present a poster session to HIMSS Global Health Conference & Exhibition attendees. Designed like storyboards, poster sessions use graphics, charts and other eye-catching information to provide a visual summary of research, allowing presenters to speak in a more personalized, informal environment with smaller groups of attendees.
Applicants must be HIMSS members in good standing. Each proposed poster session topic must be aligned with a HIMSS Global Conference education topic. Should your proposal be selected, you will receive one complimentary registration to the HIMSS Global Health Conference to present your poster.
The 2021 Call for Poster Proposals is now open until March 10, 2021
For more information or for questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.