Software Capabilities and Testing Tools
About the Workflows and Capabilities
The immunization-related capabilities are organized within eight user workflows, which together constitute the end-to-end workflow for providing immunizations to patients.
Providing the right immunization(s) to a patient at the right time requires actions by people and information sharing among software systems. The following diagram shows the end-to-end workflow for providing immunizations to patients. Some tasks are performed exclusively by people, such as immunization providers; other tasks incorporate EHRs and/or other clinical software. The Exhibit below presents the actions performed by providers and IIS’ to provide immunizations to patients.
Details about each of the immunization-related capabilities, including an overview, example, guidance, and references to both test scripts and data elements, can be accessed through each applicable workflow section.
This section reviews the functional evaluation conducted for each of the requirements. EHR vendors should consider the tests as methods to evaluate their own products’ ability to meet the requirements. Clinical providers may use this information to help evaluate differences among clinical software products and to identify topics they should discuss with their EHR vendors.
Software vendors who wish to test their software against the test plans should contact IIPhelp@himss.org.
A cross-walk of individual immunization-related capabilities is included with the capabilities and guidance, in which they are tested within each of the two test plans, if applicable.
In order for a vendor to receive HIMSS IIP recognition they must demonstrate all of the core Immunization related capabilities, as well as 90% of optional advanced capabilities. The Overview of IIP Testing Requirements document articulates when capabilities and test steps are required or optional. Vendors have the flexibility of selecting which set of optional capabilities/test steps they implement as long as they implement 90% of the optional advanced capabilities. Please note that as the HIMSS IIP continues to mature, additional capabilities may be added on an intermittent basis, with the goal to continue to improve the robustness of the Immunization program. New capabilities/test requirements may be added as completely optional and/or moved into the selection of required/optional advanced capabilities as the value of the capabilities are vetted in the field.
To support usability outcomes related to the use of immunization-related functionality in electronic health records (EHRs) and other clinical software, CNIADV developed two key outcomes:
- User-Centered Design Primer, which offers guidance on how to conduct a user-centered design (UCD) process in order to improve usability outcomes related to the use of immunization functionality in EHRs and other clinical software.
- User-Centered Model Documentation, which includes immunization-related content and user interface designs from business workflow requirements to enable the creation of functional prototypes through the use of the UCD model documentation. It also includes discussion on the use of the UCD model to explore immunization-related forecasting and data quality.
- User-Centered Design Process, a description of use of the UCD model to explore immunization-related reconciliation and inventory management.
CHC, HIMSS and Drummond Group seek user input from both users (clinicians and other immunization providers) as well as software developers on these usability tools.
Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback on the Immunization Integration Program’s testing capabilities. Please follow the instructions below to download and complete the survey.
- Download the survey (via Microsoft Excel).
- Click on the worksheet titled Current Capabilities in Test, and review the current capabilities.
- Click on the worksheet titled Comment Template.
- Be sure to follow the Comment Template Instructions located in cell F1.
- Where applicable using the drop-down functionality, please insert your comment on each Workflow (8 in total) listed within column A.
- Please make any suggestions on capabilities to the “Testing Suggestions” column, including capabilities not currently included.
- For Capability Scope, please note that:
“Too broad” = The scope of the capability should be narrowed. Please explain how in the “Capability Scope Comments” column.
“Too narrow” = The scope of the capability should be expanded. Please explain how in the “Capability Scope Comments” column.
- For “Other Applicable Standards,” please state any standards that should be taken into account that were not addressed in the capabilities.
- Save the workbook with your comments.
- Email the saved workbook to IIPhelp@himss.org.