NursePitch™ is designed to increase the voice, opportunity and visibility of the nursing audience in the digital health ecosystem by holding a nurse-led and nurse-developed innovation competition.
HIMSS, the American Nurses Association Enterprise and BD have come together again as innovation leaders in announcing the open application call for the NursePitch™ competition. The annual interactive event invites nurses from around the world to compete for the chance to pitch their products and ideas. Finalists will exhibit their products to a team of highly respected judges who represent health innovation, business, provider and venture capital companies. This year’s NursePitch will be hosted virtually June 27, 2023, from 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm CT.
In these rules, Health Information and Systems Management Society may be referred to as HIMSS or Organizer. All individuals, groups, or companies who apply or submit any materials in connection with NursePitch™ are referred to as Participants.
- All startup companies who are ‘Pre-Seed’ and ‘Series A’ are welcome.
- Nurse-owned (or demonstrated nurse-led) innovation.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Only English-language submissions are considered.
- Product must have a significant digital health information and/or technology component.
HOW TO APPLY TO COMPETE IN THE PITCH COMPETITION
- To submit an application into the pitch competition, visit the competition Application Link.
- See website for submission deadlines currently posted as Tuesday, May 30, 2023, by 11:59pm CST.
- There is no cost to submit an application for the competition.
- The competition's submissions will be reviewed and accepted by the Organizer on a rolling basis. See below for selection criteria.
- Pitch finalists will be notified no later than Tuesday, June 6, 2023.
COMPETITION SELECTION CRITERIA
HIMSS’s selection committee will consider the following criteria, and others, when evaluating applications. The following should be addressed in the application:
- Whether the solution proposed is viable. Viability will be assessed from a digital health and market perspective.
- Whether the assembled team has the requisite skills and experience to contribute to the project's success.
- The degree to which the solution impacts improved healthcare with a significant digital health component.
You are encouraged to address the following in the video submission:
- Have a clear value proposition of your product. Does it really solve a problem in a smart way?
- Clearly define what is being impacted. What systems are being disrupted on a fundamental level? Clearly define what metrics will be measured (people helped, revenue, etc.)
- How will the impact/solution be scaled? Can this be a solution for your community, city, country, or even a continent? How many people will it impact?
Note: Video should be recorded on YouTube, or a similar platform and URL provided in the application. All submissions must include a video and be submitted in the application.
PITCH FINALIST SELECTION
The selection committee will review all submissions against the selection criteria. and will identify Pitch finalists; Pitch finalists must be available on June 27, 2023, for a virtual competition. Times will be provided between 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm. Finalists must have access to pitch via their own device using the Teams platform and have appropriate video, internet and presentation capacity. All finalists will be sent a Microsoft Teams meeting invite for their presentation during the specified timeframe.
COMPETITION JUDGING CRITERIA
Qualification of judges: Judges will be nurse leaders, venture capitals, investors, and other thought leaders in the digital health space selected by HIMSS in its sole discretion.
Applicants will submit a pitch during the virtual competition on June 27, 2023, and all finalists will be sent a Microsoft Teams meeting invite for their presentation during a specified timeframe. Applications will be evaluated on the criteria of competitiveness, potential of growth, strength of the pitch, digital health information and/or technology component, and the overall application.
- Competitiveness in terms of the company and the product’s competitive environment in the market in their relevant fields.
- Potential of growth in terms of market growth of the product
- Strength of the pitch include, but is not limited to:
- Thorough responses of the open answers
- Detailed business plan and product overview
- Including a demo video of the product
- Digital health information and/or technology component
- Overall application includes but is not limited to: Whether the application is complete and adheres to the requirements of the application website.
Judges will select award recipients at their sole discretion.
- First place $8,500
- Second place $2,500
- Third place: $1,500
Additional engagement opportunities (in development):
- Mentorship with innovation leader
- Recognition spotlight across HIMSS vehicles such as:
- HIMSS news announcement on NursePitch
- Invitation to present to HIMSS Nursing Informatics Community
- Invitation to author to OJNI (Online Journal of Informatics)
- Invitation to author to Computers Informatics Nursing ANI (Alliance of Nursing Informatics) Corner
- One complimentary HIMSS one-year individual membership
- Photo and announcement of finalists in a HIMSS News Item and posted on social media with acknowledgement of sponsor.
- Interview with finalists and sponsor on the value of NursePitch and Innovation. (Quote or section from BD Leadership)
- Podcast for HIMSS Media (BD participates with finalists)
Organizer has the right to secure sponsorship for the competition and include sponsor in planning and promotion of the event and following promotions. Sponsor invited to select a judge for the competition and also join the pitch competition as an observer.
- The organizer has the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify a Participant for a violation of the rules or an incomplete application.
- Organizer may prohibit certain companies or individuals from participating in the competition or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines the Participant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of Organizer by cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair practice.
- Organizer has the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any Participant who attempts to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other Participants or representatives of Organizer.
- Entries containing pornographic material, defamatory statements or are otherwise deemed offensive by Organizer are prohibited from participating in the competition and will automatically be disqualified.
- Ineligible entries may be disqualified at any time without notice.
- The Organizer has the right to cancel or suspend the competition with or without notice and for any or no reason.
- Organizer, and Organizing Partners, are not responsible and Participants hereby waive any claim for damages, claims, losses, or inconveniences caused by cancellation or suspension of the competition.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY (IP)
- By providing a submission to the competition, each Participant represents and warrants that the submission does not violate any applicable law or any third-party intellectual property rights.
- Organizer does not make any claims to or take responsibility for IP that emerges from the competition.
- Each Participant must determine ownership of any work created and developed during the pitch competition.
- Organizers accept no responsibility for resolving IP disputes among Participants.
- Be aware that the risks of exposing an idea and/or IP may be outweighed by the benefits of the feedback and collaboration Participants may receive if people get excited about Participants submission; any risk of the same is born solely by Participants.
- If Participants have concerns about the IP in your submission, we recommend consulting a lawyer before participating or sharing said IP.
PUBLICITY AND PRIVACY
- Participant hereby grants Organizers the right to use or refrain from using Participants’ name and/or likeness in any video, photo, recording or media b-roll without Participants’ review, approval or compensation.
- By applying and participating in competition, Participants are consenting to having HIMSS provide Participants’ information to third-party judges and partners (“Organizing Partners”). Personal information is collected for the purpose of registering teams for the pitch competition, administrating and promoting the pitch competition, communicating about current and future events, and will be provided to sponsors of the event (“Sponsors”).
- Participants expressly consent to receiving electronic messages relating to participation in the competition.
LIABILITY RELEASE AND INDEMNITY
- Under no circumstance will Organizer, Organizing Partners or Sponsors be liable for any direct, incidental, indirect, special or consequential damages incurred by any participants or third parties in connection with, arising out of, or relating in any way to the competition or the official rules.
- Participant shall indemnify and hold Organizer, Organizing Partners, Sponsors and their officers, directors, employees, successors and assigns harmless against any claims, losses, damages, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ and other professionals’ fees) incurred by Participant in connection with, arising out of, or relating in any way to the competition or the official rules.
- All disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the competition, prizes, or the official rules, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action.
- Participant agrees not to use in any advertising, publicity, marketing, press release, or in any other way, the name, trademark, logo, symbol, image, likeness or other intellectual property of Organizer, Sponsors, or Organizing Partners without the prior written consent of Organizer, Sponsors, or Organizing Partners, respectively.
In partnership with:
Sponsored content. The views and opinions expressed in this content or by commenters are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HIMSS or its affiliates.