The Certified Associate in Healthcare Information and Management Systems (CAHIMS™) credential will help you advance your healthcare career:
- Demonstrate professional knowledge in healthcare information and management systems to potential and current employers
- Establish a solid foundation that will give you an advantage as you strengthen abilities, acquire more experience and advance your career path
Become CAHIMS Certified
Candidates who meet CAHIMS eligibility requirements can apply to take the certification exam.
To qualify to take the CAHIMS Exam and earn CAHIMS certification, you must:
- Have a high school diploma or its equivalent and
- Have at least 45 hours of continuing education in healthcare information technology, digital health or informatics, specifically covering content found on the CAHIMS Detailed Content Outline. Candidates will be asked to submit a listing of courses taken to meet this requirement, which are subject to audit and verification.
For detailed information on eligibility requirements, see the CAHIMS Candidate Handbook.
Preparing for the Exam
Start by reviewing the CAHIMS Candidate Handbook, which provides a detailed outline explaining the content and structure of the exam. It will help you identify your strengths and weaknesses and focus your preparation.
HIMSS also offers review materials to help candidates prepare for the exam, including webinars, review courses and books. Find the review materials that work best for you in our CAHIMS Resources.
Instructor-led, interactive, one-day, in-person review courses, as well as online review courses and instructional webinars, are available. Contact us for more information, or find upcoming courses and webinars on our Events page.
The CAHIMS Exam is delivered via a network of computer-based assessment centers around the world.
To locate the testing center nearest you, visit our testing partner website and select the "Locate a Testing Center" icon. Candidates will not be able to make a testing reservation until they have received an eligibility ID number.
Taking the Exam
The CAHIMS Exam is a two-hour exam composed of 115 multiple-choice questions, 100 of which are scored. The exam focuses on common knowledge and skills that have been identified as being important to competent practice through a job analysis in health IT.
Exams are administered at Prometric Testing Centers and at select HIMSS events, such as the HIMSS Global Health Conference. All candidates must apply and receive an eligibility ID number before making a reservation to test.
Candidates will receive results before leaving the testing session.
CAHIMS Certification Fees
(All fees in U.S. dollars)
- HIMSS Organizational Affiliate Member: $190
- HIMSS Member (excludes Chapter Only and Online Only members): $240
- Non-Member: $315
- Retake: $150
- Extension: $100
- Renewal Member: $150
- Renewal Non-Member: $215
Veterans Exam Fee Reimbursement
The CAHIMS Exam fee is eligible for reimbursement for U.S. veterans. To be reimbursed, you must be eligible for the Montgomery G.I. Bill, Reserve Education Assistance Program, Veterans Education Assistance Program, or Dependents Educational Assistance programs. For more information about benefit and eligibility requirements, contact your assigned Veterans Affairs office or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Renew Your Certification
Want to renew your CAHIMS certification? Visit our Certification Renewal page.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.