The CAHIMS credential will help your career by:
- Demonstrating professional knowledge in healthcare information and management systems to potential and current employers
- Establishing a solid foundation that will give you an advantage as you strengthen abilities, acquire more experience and advance your career path
Become CAHIMS Certified
Candidates who meet CAHIMS™ eligibility requirements can apply to take the certification examination.
CAHIMS Eligibility Requirements
To qualify to take the CAHIMS examination and earn CAHIMS certification, you must:
- Have a high school diploma or its equivalent and
- Have at least 45 hours of continuing education in healthcare information technology, digital health, or informatics, specifically covering content found on the CAHIMS Detailed Content Outline. CAHIMS candidates will be asked to submit a listing of the courses taken to meet this requirement, which are subject to random audit and verification.
For detailed information on CAHIMS eligibility requirements, refer to the CAHIMS Candidate Handbook.
Preparing for the Exam
The CAHIMS Candidate Handbook provides a detailed content outline explaining the content and structure of the exam. The outline will help you identify your strengths and weaknesses and focus your preparation.
HIMSS also offers review materials to help candidates prepare for the exam including webinars, review courses and books.
Instructor-led, interactive, one-day, in-person review courses, and online review courses and instructional webinars are available. Contact us for more information, or find upcoming in-person and online review courses and webinars on our Events page.
HIMSS exams are delivered via a network of computer-based assessment centers around the world.
Applications will be reviewed for eligibility and candidates will be contacted with instructions on how to make their personal testing reservation.
To locate the testing center nearest you, visit our testing partner website and select the "Locate A Testing Center" icon. Candidates will not be able to make a testing reservation until they have received an Eligibility ID#.
Taking the Exam
The CAHIMS exam is a two-hour exam composed of 115 multiple-choice questions, 100 of which are scored. The exam focuses on common knowledge and skills that were identified as being important to competent practice through a job analysis.
Exams are administered at Prometric Testing Centers or at select HIMSS events. All candidates must apply and receive an Eligibility ID# before making a reservation to test.
You’ll receive your results before leaving the testing session.
(All fees in US Dollars)
- HIMSS Organizational Affiliate Member: $190
- HIMSS Member (excludes Chapter Only and Online Only members): $240
- Non-Member: $315
- Retake: $150
- Extension: $100
- Renewal Member: $150
- Renewal Non-Member: $215
Veterans Exam Fee Reimbursement
HIMSS offers exam fee reimbursement for U.S. veterans. To be reimbursed, you must be eligible for the Montgomery G.I. Bill, Reserve Education Assistance Program, Veterans Education Assistance Program or Dependents Educational Assistance programs. For more information about the benefit and eligibility requirements, contact your assigned Veterans Affairs office or contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Renew Your CAHIMS Certification
Are you interested in renewing your CAHIMS Certification? For a complete guide of the process, please view our Certification Renewal page.
Questions? Please contact us. firstname.lastname@example.org