The CPHIMS credential will help your career by:
- Demonstrating you meet an international standard of professional knowledge and competence in healthcare information and management systems
- Increasing your credibility with your employer
- Showing a commitment to continuing professional development
- Enjoying a sense of personal and professional achievements
Become CPHIMS Certified
Candidates who meet CPHIMS™ eligibility requirements can apply to take the certification examination.
CPHIMS Eligibility Requirements
To qualify to take the CPHIMS examination and earn CPHIMS certification, you must either:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and
- Have five years of information and management systems* experience, with three of those years in a healthcare setting**.
- Hold a graduate degree or higher from an accredited college or university and
- Have three years of information and management systems* experience, with two of those years in a healthcare setting**.
- Have at least ten years of information and management systems* experience, with eight of those years in a healthcare setting**.
- All candidates without a degree, or whose degree was not awarded in the past five years will need to document at least 45 hours of continuing education in healthcare information technology, digital health, or informatics, specifically covering content found on the CPHIMS Detailed Content Outline.
- Candidates will be required to submit a current CV or resume supporting their experience, along with official documentation of their current job description, as well as a listing of the 45 hours of continuing education, should their degree be over 5 year old. Documents are subject to random audit and verification.
For detailed information on CPHIMS eligibility requirements, please refer to the CPHIMS Candidate Handbook.
Preparing for the Exam
Start by reviewing the CPHIMS Candidate Handbook, which provides a detailed content outline explaining the content and structure of the exam. The outline will help you identify your strengths and weaknesses and focus your preparation.
HIMSS also offers review materials to help candidates prepare for the exam including webinars, review courses and books. Find the review materials that work best for you!
The CPHIMS Practice Exam is a 100-question online practice examination developed using the same procedures as the CPHIMS Examination and conforms to examination specifications in content, cognitive levels, format and difficulty. It should be used to familiarize yourself with the format and type of questions you will find on the actual exam. Feedback during the practice exam provides you with a narrative rationale for the correct answer and may assist you in self-identifying areas for further review or study. The questions presented in the practice exam are different from the questions contained on the actual exam and should not be considered predictive of your final performance.
HIMSS exams are delivered via a network of computer-based assessment centers around the world.
Applications will be reviewed for eligibility and candidates will be contacted with instructions on how to make their personal testing reservation.
To locate the testing center nearest you, visit our testing partner website and select the "Locate A Testing Center" icon. Candidates will not be able to make a testing reservation until they have received an Eligibility ID#.
Taking the Exam
The CPHIMS exam is a two-hour exam composed of 115 multiple-choice questions, 100 of which are scored. The exam focuses on common knowledge and skills that were identified as being important to competent practice through a job analysis in health IT.
Exams are administered at Prometric Testing Centers or at select HIMSS events, such as the HIMSS Global Health Conference. All candidates must apply and receive an Eligibility ID# before making a reservation to test.
You’ll receive your results before leaving the testing session.
(All fees in US Dollars)
- HIMSS Organizational Affiliate Member: $375
- HIMSS Member: $405
- Non-Member: $525
- Retake: $250
- Extension: $100
- Renewal Member: $250
- Renewal Non-Member: $350
Veterans Exam Fee Reimbursement
HIMSS offers exam fee reimbursement for U.S. veterans. To be reimbursed, you must be eligible for the Montgomery G.I. Bill, Reserve Education Assistance Program, Veterans Education Assistance Program or Dependents Educational Assistance programs. For more information about the benefit and eligibility requirements, contact your assigned Veterans Affairs office or contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Renew Your CPHIMS Certification
Your CPHIMS Certificate must be renewed every three years. For a complete guide of the process, please view our certification renewal page.
Questions? Please contact us. firstname.lastname@example.org