HIMSS Interoperability Showcase
Connections that transform health
The HIMSS Interoperability Showcase™ demonstrates the power of standards-based interoperability by showcasing how multiple stakeholders connect health IT to exchange and use data in real time to improve care, outcomes, health, and healthcare.
Through close collaboration with industry leaders, the HIMSS Interoperability Showcase curates use cases that address critical and timely topics such as chronic disease management, mental health, human trafficking, and immunization management. Demonstrations provide an educational experience produced for both in-person exhibits and digital events around the globe, including the HIMSS Global Health Conference & Exhibition.
Real-world stories and initiatives come to life in the HIMSS Interoperability Showcase while demonstrating the implementation of the use of standards such as HL7® , HL7 FHIR®, IHE profiles, DICOM and DIRECT.
Stakeholders involved include government agencies, Ministries of Health, market suppliers, non-profit organizations, payers, providers, academia, health information exchange organizations, standards development and profiling organizations, and consulting firms.
Interoperability Showcase at HIMSS Global Conference & Exhibition
The HIMSS Interoperability Showcase flagship experience takes place annually at the HIMSS Global Conference & Exhibition. This premier specialty exhibition includes demonstration areas, thought leadership theaters, a product marketplace and numerous networking opportunities.
What’s in it for attendees
- Observe the impact these systems have on clinical outcomes, quality, and patient experience. Demonstrations place solutions in a clinical context for you to engage in the story of an individual—such as a caregiver, patient, or clinician.
- Gain critical knowledge and a deeper understanding of the tools for success. Our theaters host sessions featuring subject matter experts on emerging topics. These trailblazers provide their perspectives and insights on challenges and inroads and help identify opportunities.
What’s in it for participating organizations
- Develop storylines that explore the value of your solutions in cooperation with partnering organizations and public or non-profit partners.
- Demonstrate your thought leadership with technology that exchanges data using interoperability standards. Must have proof of validation of associated standards.
- Highlight a project or service, allowing broader exposure across the interoperability health ecosystem.
- See collaborators showcasing existing work and interoperable technical achievements. Our interactive exhibit produces clinical connected demonstrations that visualize actionable, interoperable best practices across many topics that can be applied in practice or referenced in research. View recent demonstrations to consider the impact and envision possibilities.
Learn from HIMSS and our member and partner organization experts.
Get in touch with our team to learn about participating or to share a demonstration use case vignette proposal.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Government agencies, market suppliers, non-profit organizations, payers, providers, academia, HIEs, standards development organizations, consulting firms, etc.
- Participants demonstrate their solution to conference attendees along with the others in the vignette at regular intervals during exhibit hours.
- At the HIMSS Global Health Conference & Exhibition, typically 15-20 patient journey vignettes are presented with 6-10 participants in each.
- The Showcase is presented at various HIMSS and partner events. The flagship Showcase event is the annual HIMSS Global Health Conference & Exhibition.
- Participants pay fees to sponsor their engagement which can involve vignette hosting, vignette participation, theatre speaking and/or physical exhibit space. Contact us for more info.
- Planning commences and proceeds for 6-9 months prior to the event.
- The HIMSS Interoperability Showcase team solicits and gathers demonstration topics from the health information and technology community at large.
- Together with demonstrating organizations and interoperability experts, participants plan the story and technical components of the interoperability demonstration(s) they choose.
- Project managers assist with specifications, coordinating connectivity and onsite execution.
- Event and programming experts assist with logistics and promotional requirements.
- information (such as an HL7 Profile, IHE Profile*, DICOM, DIRECT, etc.). No proprietary exchanges will be allowed in the demonstrations.
- Demonstration participants must undergo some proof of validation of associated standards to be approved by the Technical Project Manager via attestation, visual, or conformance/validation testing (such as participation and validation at an IHE Connectathon, a FHIR Connectathon, etc.). All Showcase participants are required to attend the in-person or virtual HIMSS Interoperability Showcase Workshop at a Connectathon. Contact us for specific requirements.
- We are passionate about helping a wide audience understand the value of creating and implementing interoperability standards.
- Connected demonstrations help attendees see what each product does to support care and how each one works together to impact the ecosystem.
- We want everyone to realize the positive impacts of improved care on providers and patients.
- We have been part of conferences around the world, from Finland to Australia to the Middle East, and we are always a cornerstone of the HIMSS Global Health Conference & Exhibition.